TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Cutting. >.< (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t124719-cutting/)

Unbroken. October 15th 2013 01:26 AM

Cutting. >.<

My last cut was in July. I never really 'cut' I used toothpicks and rubbed them really hard into my skin. I stopped because I realized its stupid. I dont have a reason my life is pretty basic now but I want to. I want attention but also cutting just releases me. Im not gonna go on Instagram and post pics and stuff but I kinda do want people to feel bad and love me and tell me its gonna be alright. I used to be really depressed and I miss it alot. Is this wrong? HELP ASAP.

PS not suicidal

dragonblood October 15th 2013 04:12 AM

Re: Cutting. >.<

It's not wrong to crave self harm and the attention and care you get from it, but there are always other, more positive ways to get that attention.
I advise you to reach out to friends and family and socialize more (eg. talking, texting, hanging out) and I guarantee that you'll feel better as it's most likely the want to cut is out of loneliness.

Have some more fun with your pals and you won't feel a need to cut.

hocus pocus October 15th 2013 01:35 PM

Hey there :hug:

It doesn't matter about the severity of your injuries, what matters is that you feel the need to hurt yourself. A lot of people do miss cutting, but it's not worth it. It can become addicting and cutting is life threatening. Every time you take something sharp to yourself, you are risking your life. Check out this link for healthy alternatives from self harming. As another posted already mentioned, there are positive ways to get attention :) If you're still feeling depressed, I recommend talking to anyone you trust before it gets worse.

Ennui. October 15th 2013 04:04 PM

Hey there,

I agree with Cassie that maybe you should talk to someone about this before it gets out of hand. It's amazing that you stopped self harming, but it's understandable that you do still miss the attention and feelings it gives you. The alternatives to self harm list Cassie gave you has some great things to help you avoid giving in. These are healthier, safer ways to cope that you should try and start implementing in your life. You can also work on solving some of the problems that are going on in your life that may cause the urge to linger, such as loneliness. Someone like a therapist or guidance counselor may be able to help you identify other triggers, or help you cope in better ways.

But, people around you would be more than willing to give you attention if you ask. Call up a friend and ask them to hang out, for instance. Spend time with family, or join clubs and sports teams to be around other people. If you want, you can even check out the Chat Room here, where there are loads of friendly people. They do care about you, so if you let them in on how you are feeling, I bet they would be willing to help you, as well as just have fun with you. You definitely deserve that! They do love you and they do want to help you, but in order to do that, you'll have to let them in and tell them that you have been feeling depressed and lonely lately.

You can do this, and there will be people supporting you every step of the way.

-Dez

Skeleton October 15th 2013 04:25 PM

It isn't wrong to want to self harm or want attention but you shouldn't feel like you need to hurt yourself to get attention. Try speaking to your family or friends about how you're feeling instead. If you still feel like you want to self harm afterwards, there is plenty of alternatives you can do instead of causing yourself harm.