TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elizabeth

Thumbs down It's Supposed To Make It Feel Better... Right? - October 26th 2013, 04:29 AM

So, I've been pretty sad for the past few years but I've started self harming only recently, around 2-3 months. I origionally started because I heard that it made it feel like it was better... I didn't really care if that wasn't the reality. Now, it's more than that- I couldn't stop, I don't think, maybe cut it down, who knoes- but it only makes it worse. So I've been feeling so cruddy lately, it's amazing. And it hasn't made it seem better, but I don't want to stop because I feel like I deserve it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: It's Supposed To Make It Feel Better... Right? - October 26th 2013, 01:12 PM

Hi there, if you would like to give up then you can find a list of alternatives here. Also make sure you take care of your wounds, you can find first aid information if you need it here. Hope this helps, I'm always here if you want to talk just VM or PM me

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: It's Supposed To Make It Feel Better... Right? - October 26th 2013, 05:10 PM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling right now! You're right that self harm only makes things worse. In the end, it doesn't really solve any of your problems. They all come back because you aren't getting to the root of them to solve them. Not only that, but self harm does become an addiction, which may be the reason why you are finding it so difficult to stop right now.

You said that the reason you don't want to stop is because you feel as if you deserve it. Why do you think that? Nobody deserves to feel as if they have to inflict pain on themselves, no matter what may be going on. You are not a bad person in any way, you are just struggling a bit right now. The alternatives to self harm link Jenny gave you is great because these are healthier, safer ways to cope because you won't have to worry about infection or having to hide any wounds. If one doesn't work, try another, because there is always one out there that will work!

Try and find ways to express what you are feeling inside that aren't harmful. For instance, you can write, draw, or use music as ways to get out pent up emotions. Exercise is also a wonderful way to release some of the stress and emotion you feel inside, and is also a great way to stay healthy! The self expression or exercise you do don't have to be great or extreme, they just have to get out what you're feeling. You should also find things to do to take care of yourself. Self-care is important through this time. Maintain your hygiene and eat right, but also do other things for yourself. Set out days or at least blocks of time where you are just focusing on yourself. Maybe take a warm bath or shower then curl up with a good book or movie. Eat your favorite foods, use a nice lotion, or do a hobby you really like. Be kind to yourself.

I also think that it would benefit you if you were able to seek support for this. I know it is scary, but in the end there will always be someone out there who is willing to listen and help you. They can help you cope in different ways, solve your problems, or even just be a good person to get everything off your chest to. You can speak with a family member, friend, teacher, club adviser, coach, religious leader, guidance counselor, school nurse, doctor, or even a therapist, for instance. If you know of any other trusted people, they work too. It is important that you have a support system, though.

Keep your head held high, stay strong, and keep fighting. The fight is so worth it and you can kick self harm to the curb!

-Dez

Closed Thread