TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ChemKitten Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ali

Points: 6,607, Level: 11 Points: 6,607, Level: 11 Points: 6,607, Level: 11

Question How do I tell my English, Algebra and Science teacher I self harm? - November 14th 2013, 02:55 AM

I don't know why, but I just want to tell my English, Algebra and Science teachers (all male) I cut. How do I tell them this? I want them to know so badly.

I don't even know if this is a good idea. Should I keep my self harm to myself?

Please help!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: How do I tell my English, Algebra and Science teacher I self harm? - November 14th 2013, 10:39 AM

Hey there,

I think that it is a very good idea to tell your teachers about the self harm and it is great that you are considering it! I don't think you should keep it to yourself. That way, they can become a support system for you, which is something really great to have when you are struggling with something such as self harm.

One thing you can do is write these teachers letters (or emails, if you're sure they check their email frequently). That may spare you the trouble of trying to figure out when to meet with each individual teacher, if that's an issue for you. In that letter or email, get everything you would want your teachers to know out. For instance, you can let them know that you have been cutting and you want some support for it. If you want to you can include other details like how long you have been cutting for. After you get the letter all written out either hand it to them, leave it where they DEFINITELY will get it but where nobody you don't want getting it will, or put it in their mailboxes. Or if it's an email you can just send it. They'll still all probably want to talk to you about it but at least then you'll have everything out without nerves and interruptions getting in the way.

If you want to tell them in person, do you know what free time they have? For instance, some teachers in my school have planning/prep periods throughout the day at various times so if you figure out their prep period you can go then, or most teachers have time before or after school. Or, try during a study hall if they're available. It may help if you plan out what you are going to say before you go in there so things run smoothly. Again, for instance, you can mention self harming and wanting their support, and if there's anything else you want them to know this would the time you would say it.

But, it's a very good idea to tell them, and I think that the best two options would either be through a letter or email or in person, so you're sure they get what you want to say.

You can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14

Re: How do I tell my English, Algebra and Science teacher I self harm? - November 14th 2013, 04:00 PM

Hey Ali,

It is good that you want to tell your teachers that you self harm as they will probably give you more support in class. As Dez said you could write a letter to the teachers explaining about that you self harm. Maybe you could also write how the school can support you.
If you ever want to talk feel free to PM/VM me anytime - I will always help as I know how hard it is to tell teachers about self harm.

Love From Meera xx

"Never forget what you are,the rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor and it can never be used to hurt you."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: How do I tell my English, Algebra and Science teacher I self harm? - November 14th 2013, 04:15 PM

Hey Ali,

I totally support that you want to tell them and think you should tell them if you feel comfortable enough in talking/writing to them about it.

However, as teachers they have a legal responsibility to notify other people, such as your parents/legal guardian and the headteacher possibly, of this so I just want you to be prepared because that is probably what will happen.

That being said please don't let that put you off telling them because it's important that you get help with this and the more people you have to support you the easier it should be and if your parents know then it may be for the best as then you can consider seeing a therapist about it and getting some professional support.
Closed Thread