TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Owl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 19th 2013, 04:24 PM

My best friend is getting married in April. Her sister and I are going to be her bridesmaids. The dress we'll be wearing is sleeveless. I'm worried about scars/cuts. Only my boyfriend and my best friend know about my self harm. I don't want to ask her to change plans and add in something long sleeved over the top for me, its her wedding, plus I don't know how that would be explained to her sister without telling her. But I really don't want people to find out.

My arms aren't too bad, but I do have one or two raised red scars and a couple of less prominent but still noticeable ones. I haven't self harmed for over 2 weeks, and I think I'm doing well, but I don't know for sure I won't relapse before April, it is hard, so I'm worried about the possibility of fresher cuts too. With any luck I'll manage to avoid that, but even so there will it least be some obvious scars.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 19th 2013, 05:36 PM

Hey!

I once had to be a bridesmaid and this was an issue for me. In the end though I ended up having to put a bandage on and say I'd sprained my wrist since I had a slip up a few days before. This could be an idea if you're really stuck and it's really close to the day.

Depending on how spread out the scars on you may be able to get away with finding a ribbon that matches the colour of your dress and tying that in a bow around your wrist.

However, if the day isn't until April then there's a good chance that the scars will fade enough to become unnoticeable and even if they still seem noticeable to you other people probably won't see them. You could try using creams to help them disappear in time.

I hope this helped

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 19th 2013, 08:20 PM

Maybe you can try something like vitamin E oil, cocoa butter, or bio oil to reduce the appearance of some of the scars. They may start to fade naturally too.

Two weeks is great! If you think you may slip up you can ask your friend if you can wear an accessory if you get it or show it to her first.

But try not to draw too much attention to any scars either. In other words, try and act natural rather than always glancing at the scars or seeming nervous. If you act naturally, maybe fewer people will notice.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 19th 2013, 10:39 PM

Would you be able to wear a cardigan with the dress ? And say you would like to wear a cardigan as you're worried it might be cold ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Owl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 21st 2013, 04:56 AM

Thanks guys! I have a scar cream I'm trying at the moment, hopefully it will help! Otherwise I might try bio-oil. I don't think a bracelet/ribbon would work, as they are a little spread out and the worse ones are just above my elbow. :/

I'm not sure about a cardigan, I think it would take a lot from the dress my friend has chosen and I don't want to change anything that might make the day any less awesome for her. I'll have to talk to her about it though. I think I'm seeing her this weekend so if we have some time alone I'll talk to her and bring up these ideas. Thanks everyone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Bridesmaid with scars/cuts - November 21st 2013, 10:33 AM

In my opinion, bio-oil is the best for making scars less visible, better than any particular scar cream anyways, if you can't use bracelets or a cardigan then I'm not too sure.

Hopefully everything works out for you and you and your friend have a great day!
~Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.

"In case you didn't know, dead people don't bleed. If you can bleed, see it, feel it, then you know you're alive. It's irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.

Closed Thread