TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Sterilization - November 22nd 2013, 12:37 AM

Can you sterilize a blade with rubbing alcohol? I'm really sorry if this is pushing it and I understand if you can't tell me.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Sterilization - November 22nd 2013, 01:02 AM

I think it will be fine as long as you dry it off after, and it's definitely better than not cleaning it at all.

I'm not going to encourage you to self harm, though, because we definitely can't promote that, but it's important to keep everything clean. Remember to practice good care of the injuries as well.

As I said, I am not encouraging it in any way. Are you sure there is nothing you can do, even if it is just writing an email to your friend, to put off self harming and maybe lessen the urge?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Re: Sterilization - November 22nd 2013, 01:19 AM

Yes it does sterilize it BUT you should really try the alternatives on here. They are wonderful

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Re: Sterilization - November 22nd 2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabithia. View Post
I think it will be fine as long as you dry it off after, and it's definitely better than not cleaning it at all.

I'm not going to encourage you to self harm, though, because we definitely can't promote that, but it's important to keep everything clean. Remember to practice good care of the injuries as well.

As I said, I am not encouraging it in any way. Are you sure there is nothing you can do, even if it is just writing an email to your friend, to put off self harming and maybe lessen the urge?
Okay thank you. I usually don't clean the cuts afterwords if they get infected I can just get antibiotics to take care of them. I probably should take better care of them though. I have neosporin spray that i did start to use for awhile. I might just have to find that and start using it again.

Oh there is no specific reason on why I want to cut besides the fact that I found a hand held pencil sharpener in my room and I know I can take it apart and use it and I haven't used a blade since I cut the word FAT into my leg almost a year ago. Plus my friend is back from Spain today since it is the 21st so I can text her but I just don't want to bug her. Does any of this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalia Rose View Post
Yes it does sterilize it BUT you should really try the alternatives on here. They are wonderful
You haven't read my other post but the alternative thread doesn't work I have an obsessive personality and once I get something in my mind it's really hard to get rid of. I've tried different things for three hours and none of it worked and I ended up cutting. But thanks for the advise.

It's okay not to be okay
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Sterilization - November 22nd 2013, 05:35 PM

You can wash it with soap or steralize it with rubbing alcohol. Fpr infection and blood poisoning reason it's important to keep everything clean. If it is a fresh open wound yuo may want to bandage it with anti-biotic cream(especially if it is a scratch) for a day or two and then let it breathe so it can scab up. If the cut is really deep, like to the point that you can see fatty tissue I advise you to either go get butterfly stitches and watch it like a hawk so that it doesn't get infected or go to the hospital.
While I do not encourage you to self-harm, It is better that you know how to to it in the safest way possible rather than hurt yourself more by getting infections.
And I think it's a great idea to text your friend! I know how it feels like to not want to bother others with your problems(that is my freaking life)but it is necissary that you get the support you need. As for the pencil sharpener, do you think you can discard it? Or if not put it in a place where it would be hard for you to get to it on a whim. That may help you and, as the others have said, there are some alternatives on this websight that may help you.
I wish you the best of luck on your journey <3

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: Sterilization - December 6th 2013, 04:22 AM

Hi there, Frankie!

I imagine it does help a lot since alcohol kills bacteria. I think it's also a good idea to keep a bandage on it as well to make sure it stays clean. I'm not promoting self-harm though, can I make a suggestion? When you get a urge, just try your best to resist. Even if you give in to a urge after that, you can be proud of yourself for resisting just one. Hopefully it'll make you feel happier and be less likely to cut. I know it must be hard, so I won't push you. Just reminding you that when you're ready to try, you can do it.

Last edited by DeletedAccount12; December 6th 2013 at 01:06 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Re: Sterilization - December 6th 2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacuna. View Post
Hi there, Frankie!

I imagine it does help a lot since alcohol kills bacteria. I think it's also a good idea to keep a bandage on it as well to make sure it stays clean. I'm not promoting self-harm though, can I make a suggestion? When you get a urge, just try your best to resist. Even if you give in to a urge after that, you can be proud of yourself for resisting just one. Hopefully it'll make you feel happier and be less likely to cut. I know it must be hard, so I won't push you. Just reminding you that when you're ready to try, you can do it.
Oh I know I can quit cutting I quit for over 4 years so there is no doubt in my mind that i can do it.

It's okay not to be okay
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread