TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 01:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I just cut myself for the first time a few minutes ago
idk how many times I've been on the other side of this reading the post
I feel like such a failure for not holding on.
but mostly I don't feel anything. I'm so sorry to all my friends who've wasted their time trying to help me. I'm sorry I was such a disappointment as usual. I just don't know. I couldn't take feeling so alone. I felt like no one cared about me...still do. I make about 20 marks on my arms. They're all red now. And they itch and burn when my sleeves rub them. I actually kinda wanna do it again. The only thing stopping me is that someone might notice. If I didn't think anyone would then i'd have gashes up and down my arm. Deep as I could go.
I can't anymore. I just can't go on feeling like this. Like everyone's leaving me. I know that I overcompensate and try to be super helpful so people won't leave me. But I should know that there's nothing that could keep people with me.

If someone could please move this to the "no hope" forum that would be appreciated. Thanks

I almost forgot to add the "triggering warning" I've never had to use it
I guess I do now

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 02:08 AM

Hey, Jason!

I'm sorry to hear that you cut yourself for the first time. Do you know what triggered you; what made you feel the need to do this? I know the feeling - I'm usually on the other end of these threads, reading them. It might feel different to ask for help, but know that it's okay because that's what we're here for.

Since you've been around here for a while, I'm assuming you know about the Alternatives Thread. If and when you have the chance, check it out. It has some really interesting things that can help keep you busy. Maybe you could update your blog and vent a little bit?

You're not a failure, everyone hits their lows at some point in time. You still have the opportunity to get help before it's too late! Would you consider talking to someone, like a trusted adult about how you feel?

In the meantime, take care of your arm. Send me a text if you need to.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 02:12 AM

Hi there,

First, I want to say that you are not a failure for self harming. The fact that you tried so hard to resist the urge means a lot, and you should be really proud that you tried at all.

I bet that the friends who tried to help you won't feel like their time is wasted either. I think they're happy that you went to them at all, and maybe you should speak to them and explain that you are struggling right now and need maybe just a bit more support. I can tell people care about you because they try to help at all. And people on this site care. Family, friends, there will always be someone. I bet they know that you would help them just the same if they ever needed it.

I think that maybe you should get support from other sources as well, such as guidance counselors, teachers, school nurses, or other trusted adults, because they can help you work through the urges in better ways.

I'm assuming you know what it is that is making you want to self harm? If not, one way to find out your triggers is to keep a journal, and even if you do know what your triggers are, a journal is still a good way to express what you are feeling in a better way. To identify triggers, take note of the urges you have by writing down the date and time, where you are, what was happening, and how you felt. You can even write about how you dealt. Then, when you are feeling calmer you can look back and try to notice patterns or events you can get help on or try to solve.

This is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm. These are healthier, safer ways to cope with anything you are going through. That way you won't have to worry about hiding or feeling guilty. You won't have to worry about the self harm escalating, or risking infection. Also, the thing with self harm is that the problems come back because you aren't really solving them, you're just adding to the issues.

Maybe you can write down or print out encouraging quotes and images that will remind you to stay strong and keep fighting.

It really isn't too late for you. You can make it past all of this and come out on top, and it won't be bad forever. You can kick self harm to the curb.

You can do this.

-Dez

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 02:15 AM

Thanks Cassie
Yeah I do know that thread i'll look at it

I would do that
I really would but I don't have any trusted adults
or and trusted friends really

I'll be sure to do that

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 02:19 AM

You could start out with a teacher or school counselor and slowly build up trust, you know? You could begin by talking to them about smaller things and lead up to talking about how you feel.

And you're very welcome.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I just...don't know - December 17th 2013, 02:22 AM

I might try that
I don't think it'll work but for you i'll try

and thanks Dez that was uber helpful

Need to talk, PM me.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
mockingbirdalert
Not a n00b

Re: I just...don't know - December 18th 2013, 10:07 AM

Hey there Jason
You know what the truth of life is? That people come and go no matter what you do you cant stop them, some leave an impact on you, some just come and go and others still stay there but they leave unintentionally
Let me tell you one thing, a boy like you right now, whose so deep there are people who would like to stay with you and stick by your side, cutting yourself making that beautiful body have scary red scars that reminds you of your pain wont help you, even if you have the urges and you think it's helping, Kiddo its not, its causing you more pain, the more you look at it the more you will feel the pain, you get what i mean?
never say don't you're a waste of times, your friends will never want you to say or think like that, i suggest you talk to someone, if you cant then write , blabber and rant as much as you can <3 not caring about that someone will read it, write as if your soul is in their but dont read it yet, put it away, continue doing it, with that talk to anyone of us? we're here to help you no matter what, Im here if you want distraction , ill help you out? but its your choice only
" Everyone has a right to live, everyone has a beautiful soul, so let that soul shine and let people see what you really are <3 "

HOPE I HELPED

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I just...don't know - December 18th 2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks Nimrah
I understand what you're saying
That Cutting just makes me feel worse and doesn't help
I'll try to voice my emotions more and get them out
It's just so hard especially when i'm feeling really down it's hard to get up the motivation to do so

Thanks for replying

Need to talk, PM me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
mockingbirdalert
Not a n00b

Re: I just...don't know - December 22nd 2013, 08:22 AM

Ah crap i just saw my typos *facepalm*
sorry about that sometimes Ipad sucks when you type,
oh and you're welcome, i know its hard but not impossible at all, you know when we start to fail a subject? for example maths but we still work our a** off no matter what to pass that crap and we succeed, its the same just that it doesn't have numbers or algebra :O
You'll be free from it.. just trust yourself, trust your Soul, if you love and trust yourself, no one in the world can break you and you won't crumble at all.
Look at the positive stuffs in life, you'll win
TAKE CARE :3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dragonblood Offline
hello there
Average Joe

Name: Call me Daff

Re: I just...don't know - December 23rd 2013, 06:49 AM

Whatever happens, just remember that cutting doesn't really help.
Figuring out what has triggered you and working from there is a good idea.

~the dragon one

Closed Thread