TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rocketnerd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,933, Level: 11 Points: 5,933, Level: 11 Points: 5,933, Level: 11

Question How do you explain self harm - January 1st 2014, 09:43 AM

I cut on my upper thigh and I've only restarted this semester in college. My girlfriend noticed them a few weeks ago and asked what are they. I just said that they're nothing and she seemed to forget it. I'm about 75% sure that she knows what they are. I really don't want to talk about my cuts. And I also don't want to bring her down or make her worried. I've already (kind of) determined that if she starts worrying about me or tried to make me promise to stop that I will just end our relationship. My last girlfriend of 8 months complained after we broke up that I was an emotional roller coaster. This was also a few days after I drew up enough courage to tell her that I started taking meds for my depression. She was so happy but I guess not enough to deal with my ups and downs. So basically I don't want to hurt this girl and how do I explain my cuts (truthfully or lying) so she won't give it a second thought.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: How do you explain self harm - January 1st 2014, 10:45 AM

I think that lying probably isn't the way to go, since if she does end up finding out or the self harm gets worse, she probably will be upset to hear you had lied.

But, I do think you should be honest with her about this. Let her know a bit about what self harm means, such as that it is a way to cope with what is going on around you. You can explain a bit about why you do it if you would like to, or at least tell her a bit about why self harm is helpful to you.

But, you can also let her know what you need from her. For example, explain that you don't want her to constantly worry and that you want her to treat you normally, but it would be nice to have support sometimes. Let her know this isn't something that changes your personality.

All in all, just be honest! You can do this.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Regular TeenHelper

Name: -

Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14

Re: How do you explain self harm - January 1st 2014, 02:50 PM

Be honest about it. Don't be suprised she would be worried about your SH, because it is something worth attention. Just tell her the truth, but ask if you could not discuss it deeper. Don't lie to her, lying is the easiest way to screw things over in every part of life.

Who dares - wins.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
EssenceOfElixir Offline
Rainbow Smoke!!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme
Location: One of the 26,497 worlds in my head, geuss which one

Points: 7,598, Level: 12 Points: 7,598, Level: 12 Points: 7,598, Level: 12

Re: How do you explain self harm - January 1st 2014, 08:14 PM

I would say that honesty is the way to go with this. Lying will only make things more difficult if she finds out the truth. Be honest but make sure that you only say what you're willing to say. Just be honest and get her to understand why she doesn't need to worry.

Best of luck
Esme V.

Causing hate is easy, causing laughter is a skill
Closed Thread