TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MaddiBo0 Offline
maddibo0
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddi

Exclamation Help.... - January 11th 2014, 02:48 AM

Sooo. I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, and have been on and off antidepressants for about two years now....my parents know how about my depression obviously, but I've been cutting this whole time as well, and they have no idea about it. It's getting to the point where the only way I can deal with stress and emotional pain is through cutting, and I know I need some serious help. Like hospitalization help....the problem is I have no idea how or even IF I should tell my parents about my self-harming.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Help.... - January 11th 2014, 02:56 AM

Hi there,

I really do think that you should tell your parents about this. They seem to have been supportive to you throughout this entire process, and if you feel as if you need some serious help such as hospitalization, it is important that you are honest with them about it.

If you have a doctor, psychiatrist, therapist, or doctor you see regularly you can also start out by talking to them about this and then have them speak to your parents with you about it. They can help you present the issues in a way that are clear for your parents to understand and explain to them that you feel like you need additional help such as hospitalization.

Another option you have is sitting down with them on a day when they are in a relatively good mood. You can plan out what you are going to say before you go in there in order to not go in blind. Mention key points such as you have been cutting this whole time as well to deal with stress and emotional pain, and you know you need help from it such as going to the hospital. If there is anything you think they should know, tell them. Also, it may help to print out pamphlets on self harm so they can read up on it and know what it's about.

Another option you have is writing them a letter that you deliver to them or leave where you know they'll get it. As stated above, make sure you get out all key points. They'll still probably want to talk to you about it but at least everything will be out without nerves and interruptions getting in the way.

But, definitely do tell your parents somehow. That is how you will get the help to get through this.

You can do this!

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help.... - January 12th 2014, 12:35 AM

Hey there,

I think you should definitely talk to your parents about this. They have been supportive of you while you have been dealing with finding the right medication and I am sure they will be supportive of you through this as well. The thing is that you deserve support through all of this and your parents can offer you that support if you open up and tell them about everything you are dealing with.

You could definitely talk to your psychiatrist or therapist about the fact that you are self harming and then they would be able to talk to your parents about this. Tell your psychiatrist or therapist that you would like help in telling your parents about your self harm and explain to them that you think that you might need more help such as hospitalization. You psychiatrist or therapist will take all of that into consideration and will be able to help you and your parents figure out what the best course of action to take is.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread