TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
missingphoenix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Quick Question - January 27th 2014, 09:06 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Does anyone know some ways to stop cutting and how to cope with suicidal thoughts? i really need some help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: Quick Question - January 27th 2014, 09:55 AM

Have you taken a look at the sticky "alternatives to self harm" here on the forums? I personally haven't looked into them but I hear a lot of great things about them, maybe it's time i look into them...shall we do it together?

I am always here to help, PM me anytime, I will get back to you as soon as possible. Hang in there friend, the dark will give light to day soon enough.

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Quick Question - January 27th 2014, 10:32 AM

Hey there,

It is great that you want to stop the cutting and suicidal thoughts! In my opinion, one of the first steps towards recovery is admitting there is a problem and wanting to stop it, so you are on the right track!

The previous poster gave you a great suggestion with the alternatives thread, located here. These are healthier, safer ways to cope. If one doesn't work, don't get discouraged. There are plenty more out there!

When you want to self harm, remind yourself of the reasons you want to recover, whether it's because you're tired of hiding or just because you realize that it isn't good for you. Maybe you can even make yourself a little list of things that you can put with the tool you use to self harm, so when you go to self harm, you have a reminder of why you should put the tool down and try something else instead.

Do you know what it is that is triggering your urges to self harm, or the suicidal thoughts? If you are unsure of your triggers, one thing you can do is keep a journal. Journals are also awesome even if you DO know your triggers, because they allow you to safely vent out your emotions. To take note of the times when you have the urge to self harm or the suicidal thoughts, write down the date and time, where you were, what was happening, and how you felt. Then when you are calmer you can look through this and notice any patterns or events that may be causing you to feel this way that you can solve or get advice on.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about this? This is a link called "Who can help me?" This lists some people that you may want to talk to about all of this. You don't deserve to go through this alone and it can help loads to get things off your chest. The people you speak to may also have some suggestions on how you can cope or solve some of your problems. You are cared for, and one of these people will help.

This is a link to a list of hotlines. They cover a wide variety of topics so maybe you will also be able to find one there to call, and they can help you work through things.

Since you mentioned suicidal thoughts, I will also give you this link to a list of reasons to live. Sometimes you have to live for the small things and let them build up, because a bigger thing is coming your way to make everything worthwhile.

Remember that the bad things won't last forever, but you do have to keep fighting. I have confidence you can get through this and come out on top.

-Dez

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Quick Question - January 27th 2014, 03:30 PM

I agree with the two people above! The alternative thread is a really good one, there are some great alternatives. That even work for me! and yes it is extremly hard to recover and stuff, but you can do it!

I recommend you going to someone you trust tho. It can be a family member, good friend, neighbor, co worker, etc. it doesn't always have to be a professional, but it is something you should consider though. It is good to let it all out on someone or anyone you trust. It is a really scary step, but you can do it! You deserve to be happy and a gift of recovery!

Also realize that there are people who do care! And please don't suffer this alone! It's a lot harder than it needs to be. I hope the best goes to you! and also feel free to PM/VM me anytime

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Quick Question - January 28th 2014, 12:22 AM

Hey there,

The alternatives thread is a great link to look into. Look through the alternatives and try as many of the things as you need. Something to remember is that your body has probably grown used to using self harm as a coping mechanism so it is going to take time for it to accept anything else. However, if you use the alternatives on a continual basis they can work.

Is there anyone you would feel comfortable reaching out to about this? Finding a good support network can be really beneficial when you are trying to overcome self harm. Having people who you can confide in when you are struggling with an urge can be really helpful.

Would you ever consider keeping a journal? I know that this is something that has personally helped me. Whenever I am feeling upset or triggered I will write in the journal and it helps me to calm down quite a bit and through this process I started being able to identify some of the things that were triggering me.

I hope this helped and wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread