TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan "sunshine" Gree

Exclamation no more streak - March 6th 2014, 09:07 PM

Yesterday I sh again, I didnt cut myself, this was my first time doing this, it just happened I dont remwmber doing it much I uust remember all of the sudden iceing my leg because I got in a huge foght with my parents after a shitty day then I went to my room blasted music and started beating my right leg with my thick metal ruler....

Why did I do this, ive never beat myself before..... I went to my room to clean it to get my mind off things but next thing I new I found my metal ruler and then I put o shorts and startwd hitting my leg as hard as I could.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: no more streak - March 7th 2014, 01:08 AM

I think it was more of an impulse thing than anything, at least in my opinion. I could be wrong though. Sometimes we do things without even thinking first because of the emotions we are feeling. When I'm angry or upset I impulsively scratch.

Maybe in the future when you think a discussion with your parents is turning into a fight, you can leave the situation. For example, before it gets to a point where it's this huge fight, let them know you are going to take a walk or do something in your room so you all can calm down first, then when everything is calm, you all can discuss things in a normal way.

It may help to find safe things you can keep in your room to do with your hands rather than self harming. Heck, it can be anything, Play Doh, a Rubix Cube, whatever else may keep you busy. That way, your hands are busy and you can do that instead of cutting.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: no more streak - March 7th 2014, 02:33 AM

I agree with Dez, it could be an impulse. Have you ever dissociated before? Dissociation is where you're (sometimes) aware of what you're doing but can forget part or all of what you did during that time later on. Dissociation is when you, most likely, cannot (or don't) physically leave the situation that you're in. In this case, your body mentally leaves and brings you into a completely different state. If you've had trouble with this before, arguing with your parents could be a trigger.

As Dez mentioned, stepping away from the situation before you get upset is a good idea. You could even tell your parents that you're starting to get upset and that you'd like to take some time away to process things.

When you notice yourself starting to feel upset, try and keep yourself busy. I think focusing on things to do with your hands, as mentioned previously would help immensely! Maybe you could try to use a stress ball or you could put together a puzzle.

Best of luck to you!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread