TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cdniiomdojooss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question How do you cover scars? - March 29th 2014, 10:39 PM

The weather is getting hot and it looks odd that I'm the only person wearing long sleeved sweatshirts and jeans. I can't wear short sleeves because my arms are pretty scared up and I'm worried that if people saw it, they'd be scared of me. My scars are very prominent on my right arm and rise above my skin, they're a purple color and I've tried using makeup to cover them but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know any good scar crèmes or a strategy to cover it with makeup?

My mom told me that eventually when it get's way too hot for heavy clothing, I'll just have to wear short sleeves, and not worry what others think. And my question is that, if you saw somebody at a store, or on the street that had scars all over their arms, how would you feel towards them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kittyhugs Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Re: How do you cover scars? - March 29th 2014, 10:48 PM

I don't have any strategies on covering them up other than foundation, which works my for my scars - they're white now. The ones on my upper arms however are purple and not easy to hide.

Honestly, seeing as I'm going through self harm, I would not think anything of someone with scars on their arms - and if all else fails, say you ran into a feral cat or something.

Sending you hugs!

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Maddie; sending you free hugs!
  Send a message via Yahoo to kittyhugs  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dreamery Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you cover scars? - March 29th 2014, 10:50 PM

Hi Snushy!

I'm recovering from my own self harm scars as well so it's a pretty stressful time with the summer weather. I know it's really hard to go outside bearing your scars to the world; I myself am scared to have others see oftentimes. But what we both have to learn is that these are our battle scars and they mean that we survived and still are surviving.

In the meantime, upon doing some research myself, there's something called camouflage makeup that you can look into. Just google it and you'll see all about it. It's heavy makeup that sticks to your skin, many brands will stay even when you swim, so its perfect for the summer. It will be harder to cover raised scars, but it's still very possible. It's infinitely better than the foundation you'd put on your face.

Hope this helps; stay strong. xx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cdniiomdojooss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do you cover scars? - March 30th 2014, 12:06 AM

Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How do you cover scars? - March 30th 2014, 03:21 AM

It's actually not that bad to wear long sleeves and pants year round. It's recommended because they are protective against harmful sun. You could go either way and I'd think you were attractive. Protective clothes tell me you care about your health and your modesty, and having scars tells me you are a strong individual who knows the meaning of pain. It's a no-lose situation.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do you cover scars? - March 30th 2014, 08:38 AM

Hey there,

I used to wear long sleeves during the hot weather. I just used to get long sleeves that were thinner material. Something that I started doing these past three years or so was wearing arm warmers. If you do a google search you should be able to find a couple of websites that sell arm warmers. This is a great method is covering scars. These are the only two ways I can think of for covering scars.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread