TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 09:43 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't know if this is normal or not but last night I had like a really graphic dream to do with self harming. Basically in the dream there was me, ,my dad, my mum, my grandma, my grandpa and my uncle. And in the dream dad was playing with us all playing get the sock or something like that and as he pulled my sock off he saw the cuts so he went to tell mum I was like completely yelling at him to stop and telling him theres no need to tell mum and they were just like little cat scratches that the cat had done... my uncle heard all this came running in and was like ' I know what she does I'm a teacher' . So my dad started pulling up my sleeves to expose my arms and then mum, grandma and grandpa came in running in leaving the door like wide open so I made a bolt for it whilst just like cradling my arms to me and locking the bathroom door so the police came and just like kicked the door down and then took me off to a hospital.

Is it normal to have dreams like the one I had above about S/h or am i just like completely weird ? Also this dream seems to have like really triggered me and shaken me up....

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 10:50 AM

Totally normal. Dreams are very interesting things. You can influence their content using a number of techniques, and sometimes you do these things without even realizing it. What I bet might have happened was that you were thinking about or seeing SH right before you fell into full unconsciousness. It is easy, for example, to dream about your favorite movie when you fall asleep watching it.

I'm not so sure I can help with the negative effects once you wake up. Sometimes, you just can't avoid scary or sad dreams. I just cry it out for a few minutes once I wake up. After that, I usually do a lot better dealing with it later on in the day.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 12:34 PM

Hey.

It's pretty normal, I have dreams like this a lot. Since our brains aren't sleeping when our bodies are, they break down and process events in the past and present as well as the things you have thought about. If you were self-harm before you went to bed that could also be part of it. Since you could forget the dream later, it's a good idea to write these down somewhere. I believe you can help prevent them by thinking of something else or doing something soothing such as listening to soft music before falling asleep.

These can be triggering and what I think it's best to keep distracted! If you can go on with your morning routine, try and do that so you can put all of your thought into something.

Let me know if you need anything.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 04:21 PM

That seems like a really scary dream! I've had dreams about self harm before, only instead of it being ME self harming, it's been other people self harming, such as friends. If you've been thinking or worrying a lot about the subject lately or have been seeing it around a lot, it's possible that your brain was still fixated or working on it subconsciously, causing these dreams.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 04:59 PM

I have been doing it alot more recenlty and i did recently tell my DR about the self harming too. so that might well have had something to do with the dreams. I've had a couple of them in the past but this is like the first really graphic one..

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 20th 2014, 11:52 PM

I dont think it's that uncommon. I dream about it sometimes. For me, it tends to be after I resisted really bad urges and sleep right after that. Or just if I'm thinking about it a lot before bed. I don't know if that's the case with you, but if it is, maybe try to focus on other things before you let yourself fall asleep, no matter how tired you are. After really bad urges, I try to stay up another hour talking to a friend about random things.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 21st 2014, 12:06 PM

You're not weird at all. I've had such dreams too. Even a friend of mine said that he had a dream related to SH after he found out that I'd been indulging in it. What he had described was pretty graphic too.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: Self Harm realted dreams ? - April 21st 2014, 05:34 PM

to me it isn't weird at all I get dreams about that stuff all the time. Usually if I had the urge and didn't act on it or thinking about a lot it happens to get those dreams. Dreams are weird and really hard to explain what they do they just appear
Closed Thread