TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rainie Offline
sunshine in a bag
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ranie

Question Hiding my cuts - April 21st 2014, 06:37 PM

This Wednesday (day after tomorrow), I'm going swimming with a friend. We only see each other once a week at a drama club we go to, and because of that she doesn't know I self-harm. I'm fine with her knowing, but what I'm worried about is the other people at the swimming pool. My cuts are above my knee, and I'm looking for a way to hide them.

Because it's soon, I don't have time to go out and buy water-proof makeup, and the only stuff I've got now is concealer (for my acne) and foundation (and eyeshadow but that won't be much use. My scars won't be noticed, but I have visible cuts that haven't healed yet. So how can I cover them up for my swimming? Thanks in advance xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hiding my cuts - April 22nd 2014, 01:08 AM

Hi there!

Are your cuts right above your knee, or are they more towards your thighs? Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if your cuts are fresh. If you have time, you might be able to swim in gym shorts or something like that. Makeup is definitely an option when but only when your cuts are healed or at least scabbed over.

With that being said, if you're okay with your friend knowing I think you should tell her so she's aware. I know that the opinion's of other people can be hurtful but those people are most likely uneducated and ignorant. You probably won't see these people again so try not to worry about it! Everyone will be paying attention to swimming and hanging out in the pool anyway.

Here's an alternative's thread for you to check out the next time you have an urge to harm yourself. I hope that swimming goes well for you!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Hiding my cuts - April 22nd 2014, 01:10 AM

I think that one of the best things you can do is make sure to keep the healing cuts clean. Maybe you can try and use some Bacitracin, Neosporin, or a similar product on them, as that may speed up healing.

Products such as bio-oil or cocoa butter can help reduce the appearance of scars. It's not a "quick fix" by any means, though, but it may help at least a little.

Perhaps you can keep a towel near the pool area. I'm wondering if not many people will notice the scars and cuts once you're actually IN the water, but if you quickly wrap a towel around yourself afterwards to dry off and then get changed, nobody will notice. If your friend asks and you really don't want her to know you can say you're insecure about your legs or something.

If you have a brother or other male living in the house you can also see if they'll let you wash up a pair of their swim trunks or board shorts if they have some and use those, again maybe saying that's what you're more comfortable with.

But, think of it this way: You're fine with your friend knowing so if you need to, you can tell her ahead of time. Are the rest of the people there that you're worrying about strangers? If they're strangers they really shouldn't matter because chances are they'll never see you again and it's really none of their business anyway, so if someone you don't know or don't know well asks, tell them to bug off! You deserve to have fun regardless!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Josey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Josey

Re: Hiding my cuts - April 22nd 2014, 01:24 AM

Try to find a nice pair of boy's swim trunks, they are typically long and usually are pretty. If you can't find any try some water proof band-aids and say that a pet did it or something like that. If you can't do either just go as yourself. I doubt your friend will really mind and the other people don't know you, so you most likely won't see them again. Just go and enjoy yourself. Don't let anyone or anything bring you down!
~Josey
  Send a message via Skype™ to Josey 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rainie Offline
sunshine in a bag
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ranie

Re: Hiding my cuts - April 22nd 2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks everyone This really made me happy. I'll try and enjoy tomorrow! x

Closed Thread