TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cookster97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cara

Unhappy Please help quickly - April 21st 2014, 09:09 PM

I'm really feeling the urge to hurt myself right now as I'm really stressed about everything (college, friends etc.) I don't want to do it but I know if I don't distract myself soon I will so please I need some ideas of things I can do to distract me from these thoughts. Thankyou

(#2 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Please help quickly - April 21st 2014, 09:19 PM

Write on wherever you want to hurt yourself with marker, listen to music really loudly, color, paint, go for a jog, run, or walk, watch a movie, talk to someone, or go out.

There are so many things that you can do besides hurt yourself. I know that mine is coloring and baking :3

If worse comes to worse and if you want the feeling of pain, hold an ice cube in the palm of your hand and let it melt, the pain is bad and could help alleviate the want to hurt yourself negatively (i.e. cutting, burning, biting, etc...)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Please help quickly - April 22nd 2014, 01:13 AM

Hi there,

I am very sorry to hear that you are struggling right now but it is great that you have posted this. I think that the fact you were able to make a thread shows that you do have tons of strength!

Sparrow gave you some really awesome alternatives, and I'd like to add on to them. This is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm. There are tons on that list, so you can experiment around and see what works for you. One is bound to!

Maybe you can find some ways to express your emotions. Writing, art, and music are all good ways to get out what you are feeling. Exercise is another way to release some stress.

Perhaps you can talk to someone about this? I understand if you don't want to mention the self harm, but that doesn't mean you can't speak with someone about some of the things that are stressing you out. If there is an adult or someone in your life you trust, don't hesitate to go to them. They've probably been in similar situations growing up and can give you some advice. Or it can help just to have someone to vent to.

Try and find ways to take care of yourself and relax as well. Maybe you can take a warm bath or shower then curl up with a good book or movie, paint your nails, do your hair, or eat your favorite goodies, for example. It can help to do nice things for yourself once in a while.

You can do this!

-Dez

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Please help quickly - April 22nd 2014, 01:14 AM

Hey there.

I know you posted this a while ago, so I hope you're okay! Check out these alternatives for when you feel like harming yourself. There are a lot on here, so don't get discouraged! It also helps to know what you're looking for in an alternative. For instance, if you want a visual, you can paint your nails red or draw in red ink! If you want a sensation, you can hold some ice, etc. Do you know what's triggering you? If not, try keeping a journal to talk about your feelings. If you find a pattern in these entries then those are probably your triggers in which you can then find out how to work through.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread