TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12

Self Harm Thoughts 24/7 - October 2nd 2014, 10:54 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have been having thoughts about self harm all the time. I have only really SH like a few times, so I am confused about why I keep getting so many thoughts about it. I can't act on them because I am usually with family or in public when I get the urges. I have social anxiety and GAD,depression/bipolar so SH is how I cope with it. I try to think about other things but my mind tends to wonder. I would really appreciate it if anyone had any tips on how to overcome these stupid thoughts. This is also my first thread so I was kinda nervous to open up.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Self Harm Thoughts 24/7 - October 3rd 2014, 02:51 AM

Hey there!

I think that it takes tons of courage to open up, so you should be so proud of yourself for coming here!

You said you are confused about why you are having so many thoughts about self harm. One suggestion I have that may help out with that is to keep a journal. Journals are also good ways to vent out emotions. But, for the purpose of identifying triggers, write down the times when you have the urge to self harm, especially if these urges get bad. Write down the date and time it happened, where you were when it happened, what you were doing, and how you were feeling. You can even write about how you dealt with the situation. Then you can look back through this journal and see if you can pinpoint any patterns or events that you can try and get advice on or try and solve. It may be easier to stop the urges when you know what is causing them.

I know you mentioned having social anxiety, but I strongly urge you to at least try and speak to someone about this. This is a link to a list of people who may be able to help. A lot of those people are non-judgmental, which would make them good to go to. If it helps, you can even write them a letter about what is going on so nerves or interruptions don't get in your way.

This is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm. They are healthier, safer ways to cope with what is going on in your life. If one alternative doesn't work, don't get discouraged, because one definitely will!

Maybe you can find something to do with your hands to distract yourself in public, such as squeezing a stress ball, playing with Play Doh, or carrying small toys around that you can play with.

Try and find ways to express what you are feeling as well, such as writing, art, or music. Exercise is another wonderful way to release stress.

When you are at home, try and get rid of any self harm tools you have, or at least put them somewhere harder to get at, so you will have less temptation to actually use them. You can also carry around a note with you detailing all the reasons you may want to recover from self harm.

I know you can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13

Re: Self Harm Thoughts 24/7 - October 3rd 2014, 04:26 PM

Dez is right, you are very strong for opening up! I know that fighting urges is hard, and it's not stupid for you to have them. After you've done it once it tends to occupy your mind all the time. However, they cannot control you, only you can control you. All it takes to resist a self-harm urge is the want to not do it followed by willpower. Try maybe doing something you enjoy, expressing yourself with music, words, or art, or even stretching or excerciseing. Sometimes when your body is filled with so much tension you just don't know what to do with it so you end up self-harming, but there are many ways to release this tension such as taking a warm bath, sitting down with your favourite snack and a good book, taking a nap, or, on the more physical side, stretching all of your body, running, dancing, screaming, etc. This is just a brief summary of things you can do, the list Dez sent you to has many more great suggestions!
I wish you the best of luck

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Self Harm Thoughts 24/7 - October 3rd 2014, 08:11 PM

Hey,

First of all it's very brave of you to open up and seek out help. You said your confused on why you keep having self-harm thoughts because you've only done it a couple of times. Well for me it only took a couple of times before I was addicted to it. I like Dez's idea try writing down every time you have a thought about self-harm and why you were having that thought so maybe you can figure out your triggers.

I would also recommened that you talk to a therapist or a trusted adult about these thoughts and feelings so you can get the proper help that you need.

Here is a list of alternatives to self-harm that you can try. Personally I like writing, drawing and coloring. But everyone is different and you might find something else that works for you.

If you ever need to talk feel free to PM/VM me anytime.
~Frankie
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12

Re: Self Harm Thoughts 24/7 - October 4th 2014, 01:09 AM

Thank you all for replying. I will definitely try journaling my triggers and moods. I will also check out the self harm alternatives thread, I been there a couple of times but haven't really used any for self harm. Thanks again for being nice and giving me praise for posting this and opening up about my problems.

Closed Thread