TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
eilidh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 02:48 PM

I have been self harm free for about a year but I still have quite noticable scars on the top of my left arm and my left thigh. The problem is I'm going to the doctors tomorrow because of several problems one being chest pain so I'm probably going to have to take of my top to show the doctor where it hurts how can I do this without showing my self harm scars also my mum will be in the room with me and doesn't know about my self harm is there anything i cans do or wear that will hide it also my self harm scars are raised so make up won't help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Grell Sutcliff Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Just call me Grell

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 06:11 PM

Say that you don't feel comfterable taking your top all the way off with your mom in the room. Your mom may get suspicious but will most likely oblige. If the doctor notices the scars, just ask him/her not to tell your mom, that you'd like to tell her on your own time.

You are always fabulous, all day, every day. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

(Because I don't wanna bother with a ticker)
11/30/14 Was the last time I self harmed
I have been with my current boyfriend for 5 1/2 months

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
screaming at the sky

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 08:03 PM

Hey,

Congratulations on being free for a year! That's amazing.

You don't have to have your mom in the room if you're uncomfortable with that. You can just let your doctor (or your mom) know that you'd rather be in the room without your mom and your doctor should honor those wishes.

You can use makeup to help cover them up if you have access to some. Honestly, doctors have seen everything before and they're trained to deal with those things. If your doctor asks about your scars just make it clear that self-harm was something you did in the past and be sure to tell them that you no longer engage in it. They are mandated reporters and they're supposed to tell your parents if you are under the age of eighteen, but if they know you no longer do it they might not say anything. If it helps, my doctor saw my scars and never said anything to my parents about them.

Good luck with your appointment! Feel free to keep us posted.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 08:42 PM

Hey,
You could tell your mom you want to do it one your own. As a way of getting more self-dependent. Your mom will probably be proud of you.

And in my country when you are older then 16 doctors aren't aloud to share information without your consent so you really should look into how that works in yours.

And I went to my doctor to get referred to a therapist for my SH. He didn't act shocked or tell my parents. Just a bit concerned.
Besides if you tell him you stopped why wouldn't he believe you if you only have old scars anyway.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia. View Post
Hey,

Congratulations on being free for a year! That's amazing.

You don't have to have your mom in the room if you're uncomfortable with that. You can just let your doctor (or your mom) know that you'd rather be in the room without your mom and your doctor should honor those wishes.

You can use makeup to help cover them up if you have access to some. Honestly, doctors have seen everything before and they're trained to deal with those things. If your doctor asks about your scars just make it clear that self-harm was something you did in the past and be sure to tell them that you no longer engage in it. They are mandated reporters and they're supposed to tell your parents if you are under the age of eighteen, but if they know you no longer do it they might not say anything. If it helps, my doctor saw my scars and never said anything to my parents about them.

Good luck with your appointment! Feel free to keep us posted.
With my dad being a doctor, I actually know a bit about this, doctors don't have to report it at all of you're not currently a threat to yourself or others. With you having been self harm free for a year that's not the case and he is bound by HIPPA not to tell or report it because you're not currently a threat to yourself or others. He could actually lose his license for telling your mom. Don't worry about covering it up so much just have your mom leave the room.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Last edited by cynefin; December 11th 2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Moderating error.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
screaming at the sky

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 11th 2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
With my dad being a doctor, I actually know a bit about this, doctors don't have to report it at all of you're not currently a threat to yourself or others. With you having been self harm free for a year that's not the case and he is bound by HIPPA not to tell or report it because you're not currently a threat to yourself or others. He could actually lose his license for telling your mom. Don't worry about covering it up so much just have your mom leave the room.
Thanks for clearing that up! That's what I figured - as long as you're not currently a danger to yourself or to others it doesn't have to be reported.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 12th 2014, 03:36 AM

Hey,

You can always say that you don't want your mom in the room because you are getting older and you think you are okay being there by yourself. You can also say that you'd feel more comfortable taking your top off with her waiting outside.

As for the scars, can you perhaps explain to your doctor that you have been self harm free for a year now? Perhaps if you explain that you are done with self harm now, they'll be more likely to not tell?

Congratulations on being a year free! I hope everything goes well, and that the doctor is able to take care of you!

-Dez

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eilidh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 12th 2014, 09:52 AM

Hey, I'm back from the doctors and she didn't have to examine me as the pain is most likely due to stress. Thank you all so much for your help and lovely comments.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Hiding scars at doctors appointment - December 12th 2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia. View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! That's what I figured - as long as you're not currently a danger to yourself or to others it doesn't have to be reported.
Also, to report it, the person must express that they have plans-this cannot be based on a simple conclusion. Current or recent scars are the only exception. However, i have had my doctor notice recent self harm scars and he didn't report it since they were singular and not multiple and also shallow and I expressed regret over it but said it was only a momentary setback.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Closed Thread