TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karol S.

Friend Takes Blame For Me - January 30th 2015, 02:01 AM

My best friend thinks me self-harming is her fault. It isn't at all, I did it before I knew her, but idk how to convince her otherwise I've gotten deeper lately and she's a cutter too, so she believes I'm doing it cause she has. I'm not, but...*sigh* *flops* I can't convince her it's not her.

Last edited by Hypothesis.; January 30th 2015 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Removing triggering prefix. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Friend Takes Blame For Me - January 30th 2015, 02:47 AM

Hey!

Have you perhaps sat down with her and talked to her about some of the reasons why you DID start? Maybe it will clear things up a bit with her if you walk her through what made you actually want to start and why you though it would help, so that way she can stop blaming herself as much. You can also give her some of the reasons you self harm if you think that would help, and maybe the two of you can even become support systems for each other.

I'm sure you have probably tried talking to her in the past but maybe if you go into more detail and let her ask questions that may ease her mind a bit, it'll help?

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karol S.

Re: Friend Takes Blame For Me - January 30th 2015, 02:50 AM

Well, she knows everything about my past and why I started. It was just coincidence that I started having severe depression when she and I met, but she's taking it as she caused it in some way.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Friend Takes Blame For Me - January 30th 2015, 04:53 AM

Hi Karol,

Have you told your friend that you believe it was just a coincidence? Perhaps you can talk to her and show her all of the ways that she has supported you so she doesn't feel like she's at fault. It also might be worth explaining that we can only control the behavior of ourselves and not those of others. Therefore, self-harm is a choice that is used as a coping mechanism and she didn't choose it for you, nor did you choose it for her. I hope that makes sense.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Friend Takes Blame For Me - January 30th 2015, 09:19 AM

Hey there,

What's the main reason behind her thinking she caused it? The time coincidence? I think that you could just try talking to her about it again, and clarify the reasons behind why you started and emphasize how the time coincidence is just that, a coincidence. But if you really cannot convince her otherwise, it's not your fault. Sometimes people refuse to believe in certain things, and there really isn't much you can do about it :/

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
Closed Thread