TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 02:58 AM

Basically, I have been self harm free for longer than I have ever been before.

What are some things that helped you all stay free? On most days I've been without STRONG urges but I'm afraid that the one day things go bad I'll give it up, and there have still been days I still think about cutting just to see the blood and such.

I'm not ready to give up my tools so that's not really an option, but I do want what worked for you all I guess. I'm not talking necessarily the alternatives to self harm link, but more personal things, if that makes sense?

I dunno.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 05:47 AM

Yay!! I'm glad to hear that you've been free for so long. <3

The longest I went free was about four or five months. I know that everyone's experience is a little different, but I went most days without any strong urges. They were less frequent and intense as time went on. Most of the time, I just kept myself really busy because I struggle when I have more time to think about things. I think what helped me the most was finding last minute alternatives when I was triggered. I used pretty much anything to keep myself from giving in.

In the middle of winter last year, I would take walks with just shorts and a tank top on and the feeling of that helped somehow. Exercise of any kind while listening to music might help, especially with anger. I'd listen to really loud music and whenever I got the chance, I would play music so loudly that the walls would vibrate. I also wrote a lot about how I was feeling and allowed myself to read it for a while before destroying or deleting it.

I also rewarded myself and I let other people know of my progress. Their positive feedback was awesome to hear so I think that helped to an extent.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm forgetting, so if I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Taylah Offline
Average Joe

Name: Taylah

Re: Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 08:48 AM

Hug teddy bears!

If you ever need to PM/VM me you can if you want
Clean since 13 July 2013 (I think)
Z ♥️ 4/4/16
Z 💍 25/9/18 (unofficial)
Z 💍 14/10/18

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful Lie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 11:37 AM

Well done for being free for so long <3

Some of the things that I use to help me are writing alot or doing little drawings around quotes, I write a lot of quotes on my mirror and in a note book just every so often when you start feeling the urge just take the time to read them or search them on google they can really help just ones to make you feel better about yourself. Other things are drawing, listening to music, sit and talk to friends about anything, game, exercising, even drown out the world by jumping into a book.

These are just some of the things that I have used to help me stay free hope this helped and if you ever need anything feel free to pm me anytime.
Stay Strong you can do this <3

Giving up doesn't mean your weak sometimes it means that your strong enough to let go <3

Today isn't just another day, today I'll create something beautiful <3

Always feel free to VM/PM/Email me for anything always happy to help the best I can
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful Lie Send a message via Skype™ to Beautiful Lie 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 04:54 PM

Congratulations on being free for so long! It really is a huge accomplishment.

Something that helped me was to take long walks with no pre planned location. I found that if I just walked and listened to music it helped a bit. I also would listen to music really loudly either by playing it out of my speakers or in my headphones. Sometimes if the urge was really bad, I would go sit on my roof to get away from my tools and listen to music or write. Writing helped a lot as well because I could write out how I was feeling and it sort of helped to release some of those feelings. I would also go for a run and run to this really pretty view and sit for while. Talking to my friends helped as well, not necessarily about my urges but about random things. It helped to serve as a distraction and remind me that not everything was as bad as I was making it out to be. I would also go out and hit tennis balls from the machine or I would practice hitting baseballs from the pitching machine. Something else that helped was jumping on the trampoline or swinging. I found it helped to release emotions as well.

I'm pretty sure there is more but this is all I can think of at this particular moment. If I think of more I will come back and add them.

You can do this. <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Staying free. - February 1st 2015, 05:26 PM

First off, congratulations on being SH free for so long! For me talking to people helps greatly. Either about what my urges/thoughts are or just having a good laugh with them. I've also popped in a good movie or CD and watched/listened to it to distract myself and keep my mood up.

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alen81 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Staying free. - February 2nd 2015, 06:52 AM

Great for you that you've been free for a longer time, hope it goes well as the days pass by.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
rosepetal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Staying free. - February 2nd 2015, 12:54 PM

Well done!! That's amazing
some of the things that helped me were: staying out of my room/away from where I could do that or would be alone, telling someone when I had urges and talking to them about it, or just talking to a friend about anything, going for walks, distraction (anything, like playing games), remembering encouraging things friends had said to me, reminding myself that it wouldn't help me in the long run, reminding myself how long I hadn't for and congratulating myself, putting stickers where I hurt myself helped a lot, writing my own list of alternatives, listening to encouraging songs.
I know you've said you're not ready to give up your tools, just wanted to say that it took me a long long time to get rid of tools, but once I did it made it SO much easier to resist urges!!!!
All the best <3

Closed Thread