TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

When you're feeling like you aren't strong enough - February 12th 2015, 03:14 PM

Hello my lovelies,

So I've seen a lot of posts around the forums and a common theme is people having a lack of belief in themselves and feeling like they aren't strong enough to get through whatever is happening for them at the moment.

Basically this is just a message to everyone. Four years ago I was where a lot of you are now, mid teens, feeling worthless, Self Harming badly, Suicidal etc... I thought that I wasn't good enough or strong enough to get through all the crap that I was going through in my life.
Now at risk of saying exactly what you've all heard before you ARE strong enough and things can and WILL get better.

I'm not going to lie it's difficult and you need to want it and you need to work for it, but it can get better. First things first though, you need to start believing that you're strong enough because no matter how many times we say it, if you don't even attempt to believe it, you never will. But you are beautiful, amazing and you CAN get through!

Now, it took me years of hiding and a hospital admission to realise that I needed to want it and work for it, otherwise I was going to get stuck in a never ending cycle of pain and self hatred. I don't want any of you to get stuck in that and this is why I encourage you to talk to someone, anyone, family, friends, teachers, whoever you trust. Get the help and support now, I know it sounds so scary but in the long run it will be worth it!

I mean, now I'm at University, nearly a qualified nurse, I work in a Psychiatric Unit, living proof that it can get better and you can go on from here!
There's ALWAYS HOPE, even if you can't necessarily see it right now, it doesn't mean that it's not there.
This is part of the journey, not the destination, but you need to decide where you want to be and where you're destined to be, remember you're strong enough and then go and get it!!

Stay strong and feel free to PM me if you ever want/need to talk

Charli x

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: When you're feeling like you aren't strong enough - February 12th 2015, 05:54 PM

Hey there,

Thank you so much for sharing your story, it can really help knowing that someones been there, made it through, and come out stronger and better than before.

I really agree with what you said, how you have to really want it and work for it. I've had to work really hard to get to the point where I'm at not in my healing process, but it's gotten so much better for me. I used to be a victim of abuse, I self-harmed all the time, and I was suicidal and depressed and an anxious mess. Then I went through this therapy TFCBT(Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) for abused children with PTSD and really really worked on myself there. If I hadn't of reached out and gotten help(one of the hardest parts!) and really tried to believe in myself and work for it I wouldn't have gotten here. I didn't believe I was strong either, but there's so much more fight in you then you tend to see.

So, with that being said, I agree and thank you so much for sharing. And to everyone else out there, don't give up because you really are stronger than you think!

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: When you're feeling like you aren't strong enough - February 12th 2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks for posting this.

I've been struggling with self-harm for six, almost seven years now. It is an ongoing battle and it took me a few years to realize that I had to want to recover for myself and that I'm the only one who can save myself. Others can support me, but it is up to me to take the steps to better myself. I was able to go without self-harm for several months and that was the longest I have ever been free. Telling someone was hard, but it was probably the best thing I have ever done because it opened doors. I no longer have to hide as much, I have a therapist and a psychiatrist and we're working together. I'm getting treated for several things including PTSD and I'm starting to see that there is hope and that it will get better.

So to anyone out there who is struggling, you can do this. Keep your head up.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: When you're feeling like you aren't strong enough - February 12th 2015, 07:23 PM

This definitely does give me a lot of hope.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: When you're feeling like you aren't strong enough - February 12th 2015, 09:49 PM

Thank you so much for this post!

I'm in the process of reaching out for help, and I know it's going to be hard work, but reading how you have made it has really given me hope

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread