TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SherlandMolly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Relapse - March 11th 2015, 10:51 AM

I selfharmed last night, after being almost 50 days clean. It's quite deep, probably doesn't need stitching but it's very painful. That's not what hurts the most though, I don't know how to deal with the dissapointmemt of ruining my clean streak. What should I do?

Last edited by Hypothesis.; March 11th 2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Removing triggering prefix. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Relapse - March 11th 2015, 03:39 PM

Hey,

I think that as far as dealing with this, deal with it as a temporary setback, not something that ruined you forever. Tell yourself that you went almost FIFTY DAYS. That is a huge amount of time and you should be so proud of yourself! Going that amount of time proves that you are very capable of being self harm free. Instead of using the relapse as a way to start self harming again, use it as a motivation to go even longer next time!

It may help if you identify what triggered you to self harm in the first place, if you aren't already sure. That way you can solve the problem or develop coping mechanisms in case the problem pops up again. Identifying what the triggers were will help prevent these things from coming back in the future or at least help you recognize signs that you may be getting triggered before it gets to a bad point.

Alternatives are really great ways to avoid self harm. Maybe instead of feeling disappointed, make an action plan of things you can do next time you get triggered. For example, write down some alternatives to try, things to do, places to go, or people to talk to. That way you have tons of options if you get triggered again instead of self harming.

So, instead of feeling disappointed, pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start over. I can tell you are motivated to quit and that truly will get you far!

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Relapse - March 12th 2015, 06:20 PM

I agree with Dez in that you should use this as motivation to start back up again without self-harm. All of your progress is still there; you went almost fifty days which shows that you're definitely capable of being self-harm free for a long time! Remember that recovery is a process, not perfection. Recovery is a long learning process but you're going great! I think what you do after relapsing is more important than the relapse itself. So keep going, you can do this.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Relapse - March 12th 2015, 11:40 PM

Hiya,

I agree with both of the above posters. Even though you self harmed the other day, you still went a very long time without it, which is an amazing accomplishment. All your progress hasn't been erased, just set back a bit. Now that you know you can go fifty days, try and make it even longer. One relapse doesn't mean you're back into the habit of self harm, it means you relapsed. Try to stay positive, think about other things, and maybe take a look at the alternatives list.

You got this

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

Closed Thread