TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zedd Offline
sad
Not a n00b

Relapsed - March 23rd 2015, 06:15 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I had been able to go for 4 months and 8 days without self harming, after my friend had finally gotten me to go to a counsellor about my myriad of problems including cutting.

Lately things have not been going well, my motivation is slipping, I've been more sad lately, my medication is not working, my binge drinking is coming back, and I'm just not doing so well. In history class, we watched a movie called "Swing Kids" because we're finishing up the unit on World War II. Unfortunately, this movie includes a scene where a character kills himself by slitting his wrists, and it even show the character with his slit wrists dangling out of the bathtub he's in.

This was the final touch which put Self harm back in my mind and caused me to think about nothing else till that evening I slipped again and cut. Now I've been doing it almost every 2 evenings and I just need help.

"They say home is where the heart is, but what a shame, cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same."

-Jesus of Suburbia

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Re: Relapsed - March 23rd 2015, 06:43 AM

Hi there Eli, I'm Bre. I'm sorry to hear things have got rough in life again. Sadly part of life is things go up and down and with that our feelings tend to do the same. The important thing here is you're trying to beat this, and you made it a full four months and more! That's a big step, so is actually taking the step and talking to a counselor to get help! Next time you wanna cut though maybe try an alternative? Here's a list of the one's we all like to use: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ . Always remember recovery is possible, and it may take a bit of relapse, no one is perfect but as long as we're trying that's all that matters. My PMs and VMs are always open if you wanna talk okay? stay strong for us

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Relapsed - March 23rd 2015, 11:33 AM

Congratulations on staying free for so long! That just shows that you're amazing and capable of going free that long again. All of the progress that you made is still there; a relapse didn't take that way. Just try to remember that recovery is a process and not perfection. It's a long learning process but you're going great.

Maybe you can get in to see your counselor to tell him or her about your recent relapse. Your friend seems supportive, so perhaps you can tell them too. It's important that people know of your relapse so you don't have to do this alone. I can see why you would find that video triggering, and it's frustrating that your class wasn't warned about the content. Maybe you can ask your teacher to give you a warning for content or allow you to leave the room when the class is watching a graphic video. Try to find ways to express your feelings, and consider looking at the link that was provided above. Since the scene from the video is stuck in your head, maybe you can think back to a really happy memory. Remember the sounds, sights, smells, and feelings and see if that helps.

I think what you do after a relapse is the most important, so pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going! You can do this.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread