TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Well, I relapsed... - May 20th 2015, 11:30 PM

So I would have been at 12 weeks today, but I relapsed, and I just feel like shit now. I let everyone down, and I've slipped back into old habits...

I fear I may never get better

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 20th 2015, 11:52 PM

Try not to feel too upset over this. The process of becoming self harm free is a long one, and sometimes it will get difficult or there will be bumps in the road. That doesn't mean that you should give up and just give in to these habits all the time. It just means that you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going. Twelve weeks is really good! It proves that you are strong and can go even longer.

Do you think it would help to develop an action plan for when you have urges to self harm? It would contain people to talk to, things to do, and places to go when you have the urge so you can avoid self harm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 21st 2015, 12:04 AM

I know that it can be disappointing when we have a relapse in self harm, but you have honestly done so well and you need to remember that we all have blips and relapses in recovery. Its only natural. You've done amazingly well and should be proud of yourself for how far you have come. What ever you're doing has obviously worked so keep on doing it and remember we're here for support but try to come to us when you have the urges instead of after you have self harmed and try using alternatives when you have urges too. Because we can only help if you come to us before, we can't try and help you not to self harm when you already have. Does that make sense? I hope it does. Keep your chin up and try and not to let it get to you too much. I Know this is hard but its a fight worth fighting.

Stay safe,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 21st 2015, 01:52 AM

Hey,

First of all, twelve weeks is a great achievement (even if you slipped up). Now that you've done it once, you know you can do it again. Don't think of it as having your progress reset – everything you accomplished is still there, this is just a setback. It doesn't mean you're going to be back in to the habit of self harming now. Try and keep going with your streak – you're doing so amazing and I know you can do it. You can always use the alternatives list and talk to your friends or people on TH.

You've come this far, don't let a setback stop you. Message me whenever you need anything or want to chat
~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 21st 2015, 02:50 AM

As has already been mentioned, relapsing is often a part of the recovery process and you should be very proud to have made it 12 weeks. Try not to be too down on yourself and focus on becoming self-harm free again. Best wishes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 21st 2015, 03:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I shall check out the alternatives. I use to go biking, and that really helped, but my bike broke, so i geuss i could try walking, or jogging.

Sadly my headphones broke, went through 2 pairs today.

And I know 12 weeks is a great accomplishment, hell, I've gone months before, but i always slip back into relapsing, i just cant seem to get it right. And yeah, just because I relapsed doesnt mean i will continue, but i usually do it for a week when i relapse.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 21st 2015, 05:05 AM

It's okay to relapse! I'm so proud of you for going 12 weeks without self-harming - That's something to be really proud of! I'm sure you can go even longer. I've found relapses end up helping us go even longer than what we had before. It's odd. Don't feel bad for relapsing, almost every one who has self-harmed has done it at least once

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 24th 2015, 05:52 PM

12 weeks is absolutely amazing. When you relapse, nothing gets cancel led out. What you overcame stays put. You still got through 12 weeks no matter what happens after. I know it is easy to think "I'm back to zero" is a defeat but don't forget that you also accomplished a lot and can continue in the future, if not even further. The battle isn't over

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Well, I relapsed... - May 27th 2015, 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am confdent i can make it back up to 12 weeks and furthur.

Closed Thread