TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RandomsUnited Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question SH'ing stupid? - May 28th 2015, 02:30 AM

I asked my family if Self Harming was stupid if the person did it out of boredom, I told them my friend asked me and I couldn't respond...

I don't want to come out and tell my family I SH out of boredom and then they think I'm stupid or suicidal, etc..

I need to know if I'm stupid because I cut because I get bored, but I can't stop...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: SH'ing stupid? - May 28th 2015, 02:38 AM

I don't think that this is stupid at all. People self harm for a variety of reasons and to cope with a variety of emotions. The thing with self harm is that regardless of why you start doing it, it can become an addiction. That is why it may be difficult for you to stop right now.

This is a list of alternatives to self harm. These are healthier, safer things you can do. Maybe you can try and replacing self harm with some of these.

It also might help to find things to do to keep yourself busy. Maybe you can volunteer, join a club or social group, or pick up a hobby for example. Or you can do things like take a walk.

If you do ever decide to tell your parents, maybe you can print out pamphlets about it that explain exactly what it is and how it is not a suicide attempt. Do you think that would help?

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: SH'ing stupid? - May 28th 2015, 02:41 AM

Hwy there,
I don't think a person who SHs is ever stupid. Maybe the act of SH is stupid but then again I'd be careful to use that word. People who self harm are struggling whether it is out of boredom or for another reason. I don't think it is fair to judge the validity of the reason because if someone is self harming that automatically makes it serious and valid. Knowing the reason is just to figure out a way to solve problems and work things through but it doesn't determine if the person is stupid or not for engaging in self harm

I hope this helps some and also these thoughts you're having about being judged may be deceiving because opening up can be really helpful and you might find that your parents do not judge. How did they respond when you asked them the hypothetical question? It may come more of an intense reaction if they find out their own child is doing it but by mentioning an example, you have an idea of how to tell them the truth in the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: SH'ing stupid? - May 28th 2015, 09:02 PM

Hi there,

I don't think it's stupid in any way at all. Like said we all self harm for different reasons to deal with different emotions. It may seem like the majority of people self harm when they are low or sad but some people do self harm due to being bored and you're one of them and that's not stupid at all. It's okay that you self harm for this reason but self harming isn't going to help in the long run!

I would defiantly encourage you to try and get involved in things. Do a college course, look for work, do some volunteer work, join a group you have hobbies in like art or photography or even join kind of support group which can be beneficial for you in many ways. It just sounds to me like you need to keep busy and active to prevent the bordem which leads to you self harming if that makes sense?

I hope you are doing okay. Remember that you are worth more than self harm. I know its difficult to get through but you can do this and beat it, okay? And you are never alone so don't suffer in silence. We're always here for you.
Stay safe and stay strong.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: SH'ing stupid? - May 28th 2015, 10:46 PM

Hey there,

It is not stupid to cut out of boredom. When I was actively self harming I would cut for all kinds of reasons and boredom was one of those reasons. I think that the key to avoiding this is to try and find things to keep you busy. Sometimes I would have random conversations with people or study really hard for class. I think you need to work on finding things you can do to try and avoid getting to bored. Boredom is always going to be a part of your life but if you have some activities you could try to do to overcome the boredom it might help.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread