TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely12 Offline
been here foreverrrrrrrrr
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ciara

Unhappy I broke my streak. - June 4th 2015, 06:34 PM

I tried so hard not to self harm. i really did. i just wish i kept it going. its just i was going through a lot of stress and people were telling me im worthless. i have heard it all my life. but i tried so hard. but i broke it. i just thought i wanted to let you guys know and if i could get any advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: I broke my streak. - June 5th 2015, 02:21 AM

Relapsing is often a part of the recovery process and nothing to be ashamed of. You kept a streak going and that is what's important and what you should focus on. Best wishes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: I broke my streak. - June 5th 2015, 02:59 AM

Hi, Ciara!

First off, I'm sorry to hear that you relapsed. But something important to remember is that relapse is a part of recovery. The fact that you're trying so hard and putting effort into recovering from self-harm will make a positive difference so try your best to forgive yourself for this slip-up. Focus on how long you went self-harm free and remind yourself that each urge you resisted was an achievement. You should feel proud of yourself! From here on, how about making goals to go self-harm free a little further this time? Take small steps and just try your best, you can do this.

The fact that people are telling you that you're worthless is cruel. You're not worthless at all. Everyone has positive things to offer, including you and if people around you don't see that then it's their loss. You're anything but worthless, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, okay? I understand it's hard when people are saying such negative things about you though. Sometimes it's impossible to simply ignore. How about focusing on yourself for awhile, pay attention to all of your good qualities and focus on what you like about yourself. Along with the simple things you do, like, I'm sure you're a kind person that's made many people in your life smile by just being around them. All the little things matter too and sometimes we fail to see our significance but it's real.

Do you have anyone in your life that you can go to for support? Such as your parents, close friend, school counselor or therapist? Having a support system in your personal life and a place to go for advice when you're struggling can make a big difference. Plus, you deserve to have someone to talk to and open up to about your struggles.

In the meantime, keep an eye on your injuries to make sure they heal okay. Care for yourself in the way you deserve. Along with that, perhaps you could try some of the alternatives from the Self-Harm Alternatives list when you feel like self-harming? Distracting yourself with hobbies and activities you enjoy might be helpful as well. Having healthy outlets for your emotions is healthy so that you're able to get your feelings out in a way other than harming yourself. You can express yourself in many ways, such as through art, story-writing, poetry, photography and even keeping a private journal to write down your thoughts, feelings and things that happen throughout your week.

Hope this helped at least a little and I hope you're okay right now. You can message me if you'd like, okay? I don't mind. Stay strong, you can do this. Recovery is possible and you're definitely strong enough to achieve that even if you don't believe it sometimes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I broke my streak. - June 5th 2015, 04:40 AM

Hey,

You have already been given some good advice. I think the most important thing you can do is not hold this against yourself because it will make getting back to a good place hard. I know that your first instinct is to knock yourself down for messing up but that would not be a good thing.

I think you should try and remember that this can happen in recovery but if you keep going you can get to a better place. I would suggest that you try and deal with your triggers to the best of your ability. If people are telling you that you are worthless I would suggest that you try and limit contact with them. No one has the right to tell you you are worthless and in all likelihood they are wrong.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Amandaapandaa Offline
Bi and Proud ✴
Average Joe

Name: Manda

Re: I broke my streak. - June 7th 2015, 04:09 AM

Ciara,

Like Adam said, it is part of the process to recovery. I've done it several times. You just gotta hang in there and try your best to not give in. I'm in the same situation right now. I'm still on that road to recovery and probably always will be.

If you need anyone, I'm here

~A

'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore...'

Closed Thread