TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
just_listen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

How to get through? - June 12th 2015, 03:16 AM

I don't know of this is supposed to go in this category, so feel free to move it if it's not.

I recently stopped cutting. My mom found out, and that was that. She took away my razor, cried at me, and that was it. So I stopped, because I hate seeing my mom cry. But I wish that she'd at least tried to help me through what I was and am still going through. Now we act as if nothing happened. Wednesday I broke my record of 13 days no SH, and before that it was 56 days. But it's getting harder and harder to resist my razor that's just sitting in the shower now. I don't know what I should do. I cry myself to sleep almost every night, and I can't feel anything except sadness and pain. Please help me.

Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How to get through? - June 12th 2015, 03:24 AM

Hi there!

I am moving this to the Self Harm forum because it is more fitting there.

I am so sorry to hear that your mom didn't react the way she should have. You are right that this is something that you need support with, and it is important that you get it. Is there anyone else that you may be able to talk to about this, such as an aunt or uncle, teacher, guidance counselor, doctor, therapist, or family friend? There are people that do care and love you and will support you through this. People can help you identify triggers and help you cope, and they can also help you solve some of what is going on.

It is possible that your mom didn't really know how to react to the situation and doesn't know how to help. I bet she is scared, but just doesn't know what to do or say. Maybe you can sit down with her on a day when she is in a relatively good mood and let her know how much you are struggling right now. Explain to her that you feel that you would like some support for your self harm, and maybe explain some things that will and won't help you, so she has more of an idea of what to do.

You should be proud of making it thirteen days without self harm, and fifty six days before that. That is a huge accomplishment! Pat yourself on the back and keep going! You can make it even longer next time!

This is a list of alternatives to self harm. They are healthier, safer ways to cope. Maybe you can try some of these. If one doesn't work, keep trying, because another definitely will!

I'd also try and find ways to express yourself, such as through writing, art, or music. Exercise is also good. That way, everything won't be pent up inside! Try and find ways to care for yourself as ewll, because it can make you feel nice. Maybe take a warm bath or shower then curl up with a good book or movie, eat your favorite goodies, paint your nails, or do your hair. You deserve it!

Keep fighting!

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Amandaapandaa Offline
Bi and Proud ✴
Average Joe

Name: Manda

Re: How to get through? - June 12th 2015, 06:51 AM

Hey there,

I've been in the exact same situation except the only con about mine was that I his my SH from my mom afterwards. I know its really concerning when moms cry. It kills me to see mine cry as well. It sounds like she doesn't fully understand what self harm is but I could be looking at this situation in a different angle then what it might be.

All I can say is, I've fought every urge, no matter how much it hurt in my head and eventually my body didn't yearn for my razor. Yes, I still have my razor hiding under my mattress but, I don't use it very often, I haven't in months. In time, you will become stronger and fight off those temptations but until then, the best thing is to keep fighting the urges. What helped me a lot was crying everything out. I would go into the bathroom and cry really hard and just let everything out instead of hurting myself to get rid of the pain. It actually helps a lot to cry things out. I also recommend that you write down your feelings or scribble on paper. That was also really helpful for me. Music is always a great distraction as well.

I hope this was a little bit helpful
If you need anything, I'll be online.

Get better, I'm counting on you

~A

'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore...'

Closed Thread