TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxFandomsxx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: katie

Clean - June 13th 2015, 04:42 PM

I've gone 1 week clean I still have urges to cut but I have been restraining myself

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Clean - June 13th 2015, 09:17 PM

Hi, Katie!

Congratulations on being 1 week clean! That's definitely a step towards recovery, that and the fact that you're resisting urges so well.

Do you have anyone to talk to in your life for support? Having a support system in your life could be very beneficial. Could you talk to your parents about this or another trusted adult like a teacher, school counselor or family member you trust? Having support throughout your recovery could make a huge difference. Along with being able to talk to someone when you're having urges or having a hard time coping with your feelings.

Have you read over the self-harm alternatives list? There's lots of helpful things on the list you can do instead of hurting yourself when you get urges. Try out most of the things listed till you find a few alternatives that work for you.

Having healthy outlets is important for when you're feeling low so that you don't bottle your feelings up and/or release them in unhealthy ways. Do you have ways to express yourself? You can do so in lots of ways and it's a good coping mechanism. Such as art, creative writing, hobbies. Writing poetry and short stories could be a way of getting your feelings out. Along with that, keeping a journal to write down your thoughts, feelings and events that happen throughout the day could be rather therapeutic. Recognizing and writing down your triggers can sometimes be helpful too as you can then figure out ways to avoid or cope the best with your triggers without harming yourself.

Hobbies and distractions to keep you busy is helpful so that you have something fun to turn to and fill your time with. Such as playing games, reading, calling up a friend, doing an outside activity (bicycling, gardening, going for a walk/run etc). Exercise and sunlight are two things that release endorphins (which is what self-harm does), but exercise is a much healthier way of doing so. Perhaps you could do moderate exercise daily and when you feel urges, along with taking short walks in the sun?

Keep in mind, you're doing really well so far. Just keep it up because even if there's a relapse, you can always choose recovery again. You're welcome to continue getting support and advice throughout recovery as well. On that note, my inbox is open anytime if you need someone to talk to. In the meantime, stay strong. You can do this, Katie!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Clean - June 14th 2015, 03:09 AM

Congratulations on being one week free of self-harm! Every second counts. Maybe you can set a goal and think of something to do to reward yourself! The user above gave some awesome advice, so I suggest taking a look at it.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Clean - June 14th 2015, 05:32 AM

Hey there,

What do you normally do when you are having urges? It might help if you work on figuring out what helps you restrain yourself. I know the first couple of weeks after I stopped cutting were difficult but it did start to get easy. I did have to come to the realization that I will always struggle with urges. However, that doesn't mean that the urges don't die down.

So far you have been given some great advice. I would suggest that you look at the Alternatives to Self Harm and see if any of the things there help. I know that sometimes it can seem like the alternatives don't work but if you keep trying them you might find that changes. Also, you might have to find different alternatives then the ones listed. Do things that keep you busy and interest you and see if that works.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Clean - June 14th 2015, 03:14 PM

Hey, Katie, congratulations on reaching one week SH-free! You should reward yourself in some way.

The first few days are the hardest when you stop SHing, especially if you've done it a lot for a while. Like others have said, I suggest you set up rewards for when you reach new milestones and find distractions when you get the urges. Is there someone you can confide in real life about this? It's definitely nice to have a support system in place in case you do get the urge to SH again.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Clean - June 16th 2015, 07:34 PM

Congratulations and try to hang it in there. Best wishes

Closed Thread