TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
molly691 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: li

Getting much worse - June 16th 2015, 09:28 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My cutting has gotten so much worse it's unbelievable.
I need help but I don't want to stop.

The worst part is that I don't regret any of it.

NOT EVERYONE HAS TO LIKE YOU.
NOT EVERYONE HAS TASTE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Getting much worse - June 16th 2015, 09:44 AM

Could you talk to someone about it? If you can't you can always pm one of us when you feel the need to cut. There are other alternatives to cutting so having a look at this thread for alternatives for it. There are some in there that will give you the same sensation as cutting, they are just better for you. It's not a good habit to have as most of us know. Stopping is the hardest bit but it is the most worthwhile bit. We all know how hard it is to stop, and you ever need someone to talk to to help you can always talk to me, or anyone else really that you feel you can talk to. Just remember its ok to relapse as well, so if you do decide to stop, relapsing is ok, but you trying to stop is also ok. If you don't decide to try and stop, please be careful. Stopping is hard, but you'll be thankful you did eventually. Sorry I'm terrible at this haha

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Getting much worse - June 16th 2015, 08:34 PM

I'm going to be blunt and say I think a part of you wants help otherwise why would you be posting this? Just to tell us you're cutting? I think not. I think you actually really don't want to be stuck in this cycle and feel this low that you have to self harm to get a release of endorphin's that makes you feel a little better for a little time. But at the same time you're too scared to really reach out for help and to stop self harming because it's become what you know. It's become what helps you. It is what works for you now and I think you've gotten to the point where you are going to have to work your damn hardest to change this but it is possible. It honestly is.

You need to find things that help you in a healthy way. For instance I started running not for this reason, but it does release endorphin's and it does help me when I'm low, sad or angry so maybe that's something you can think about too. If you're in to trying these ones then you can try having cold showers, holding ice only, against your skin, flicking an elastic band around your wrist/leg etc. And then there are distractions that you can do such as walking, painting, cross stitch, knitting, watching a film, being with friends, getting out, shopping, reading, colouring and so on. Here is a list to our alternatives:http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/. Take a look and remember that not everything is going to help you so its about trying things again and again and trial and error so don't give up when something doesn't work. Keep on trying new things and it will be great if the first list of idea's take away the urges and if the alternatives can distract you then that's great too. But if they don't, as long as you're doing them from when you wake until you sleep, you're doing them and not self harming. SO you're still beating it.

Think about reasons not to self harm rather than reasons to self harm. Maybe make a list or a poster to stick up somewhere? Like my reasons would be to not get any more bad scaring, to be able to say Im a certain amount of time self harm free, to be proud of myself, to have learnt new skills, to have be able to be honest to people etc. Think of good reasons for YOU. Why YOU would like to stop self harming. Is the pain really all that worth it when it doesn't help for too long? Is it worth getting stitches every day when it only helps for so long? Are the scars worth the pain? Wouldn't it be better to do something productive but helpful instead?

I know this is all really hard and I know sometimes it feels like we don't want to stop but you can break this cycle and you can beat this. I know you can, I believe in you so believe in yourself. And remember we're here for you and if you want to PM me feel free to do so. Don't do this by yourself. Talk to people. Us, friends, family, teachers, a counselor, a doctor, anyone, just don't be alone. People can and want to help you but can only do so if you let them in. At the end of the day recovery is your choice and you have to keep choosing it again and again and again, every time you get that urges but you can do it if you decide you want too.

I know you can Always here. Stay strong.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread