TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

ready to relapse - July 19th 2015, 04:56 PM

It's been about 3 years since I last SH'd. Then there was a period in my life that I thought was very happy and positive, but looking back it was very toxic. Now a lot more is happening and nothing is going right. I feel like SH'ing again because that's the only thing to distract me. SH takes away pain for me, emotional pain. Also it distracts me from my constant headaches caused by the extreme noise pollution in my neighborhood.

I feel like I should SH until I get out of where I am currently living because it is the source of all pain in my life. Like if I SH it will hurry me up to get myself moved away faster.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: ready to relapse - July 19th 2015, 07:21 PM

Hi there,

Firstly, you've done really well to not self harm for 3 years and you should be really proud of yourself! I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling the way that you currently are, and I want to let you know that I'm always here if you want to talk.

There is a list of self harm alternatives which list all of the other things that you can do to not self harm. If you find that one method on the list doesn't work, please don't give up, try another one and I'm sure that you will find one that works for you. One alternative which I don't think is listed on the page is to activate a glow stick and tell yourself that you won't self harm until it has stopped glowing; as the glow sticks usually stay glowing for several hours, the urges should have passed by the time that it has stopped glowing.

I hope this helps, and you're welcome to PM or VM me anytime if you need to talk.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: ready to relapse - July 19th 2015, 08:19 PM

Three years is absolutely amazing. You should be proud of yourself for that. Now I know what you mean about distraction. I've seen several threads you've made about the people in your life like friends and family who you've mentioned are toxic. I can understand the desperation to escape in these kinds of situations, as I'm in a few myself.

That being said, self harm will make things worse. You'll have to think about hiding your scars. You'll have to do it privately and wear long clothes in the summer. You'll be in physical pain and need to medically take care of the wounds. I thought self harm will "discipline" me to do better and I simply don't have the financial means to move out, therefore no amount of self punishment had got me to move out.

If you want to take the focus away from emotional pain, try going to the gym and doing a workout. Or try running. You'll surely come out sore but it would not damage you and exercise is healthy. (Of course I'm not suggesting to do anything unsafely. It is important to know your limits!)

I don't go to the gym personally but I tend to go bike riding long distances and I'm tired, distrscted, sonewhst sore, but haven't hurt myself and it is refreshing.

I also tend to do cleaning for many hours in a row. Or a lot of manual labor...or getting messy with supplies...anything that requires movement and sensations.
Another thing to try is holding ice cubes. It is cold and gives a sensation that is unconfortsble but ultimatrly youre not putting ypurself in danger. Hope this helps a little.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nouedis Offline
Not a n00b

Re: ready to relapse - July 20th 2015, 02:20 AM

Going back to your old habits isn't worth the struggle

Closed Thread