TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grace19* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy How to get help? - July 24th 2015, 01:20 AM

So I have been self harming since I was 13, I am currently 17. In the past couple of months it has gotten significantly worse. It has gotten out of control. I'm always thinking about when I can cut next. I have never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression but I think that I have both. I was wondering how to start getting help? also if I told my doctor would they have to tell my parents? I am terrified of what my parents will think and I know that it will probably be impossible to hide it from them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
pinky987 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to get help? - July 24th 2015, 01:43 AM

yes, your parents would have to know and i know its scary, because your thinking what what will they think and what will they say. But in order to get real help thats just one big step your gonna have to take. In order to be prescribed your parents would need to know because your not 18 yet. honestly i really do hope you get the help you need because im sure your a beautiful person inside and out and you don't deserve the way you treat yourself, you dont deserve those cuts on your arms or legs, or wherever you place them. you deserve better and whatever happens i promise you everything will be okay. Aside from that definitely talk to your doctor and see what he/she says and search out your options

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Staypositive Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brianna

Re: How to get help? - July 24th 2015, 01:50 AM

Hey,
I am in a sort-of-similar situation. I am four (almost five) months free from self-harm, but the temptation to relapse is getting really strong, and I am going to have to tell my aunt soon, before she finds out on her own. I don't know exactly what her reaction will be, but I am hoping that she will accept it to some extent. It is getting impossible to hide from her, because I'm going to be living with her soon.

But I believe that your doctor would have to tell your parents. My suggestion would be to tell your parents, because no matter what their reaction will be, it will be better for them to find out from you than from anyone else.

"I've decided to stick with love. Hate is too great aburden to bear." Martin Luther king Jr.

Last edited by Staypositive; July 24th 2015 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo

(#4 (permalink)) Old
pinky987 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to get help? - July 24th 2015, 01:51 AM

inspirationsyouth.com/treatments/teen-behavioral-treatment/cutting-si heres a good website

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: How to get help? - July 24th 2015, 02:24 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time right now but I am really glad you have come to us here at Teenhelp for some help and support. I hope we can help in some way.

I'm sorry you struggle with self harm although I always think it's not so much about the self harm but whats behind it. I have been self harming for twelve years now and there are a lot of reasons as to why I have been self harming like my past for example. Is there anything that is bothering you? Something that has happened in the past or something that is happening now or worries about the future? I know its a big question so take time out to think about it but if there is something and you would like to talk to us about it, know that we're here for you and we will try to support you through it and we won't do anything like judge you. We want to help you as much as we can; that's what we're here for.

Like you my self harm got to a point where it became severe and I was in A&E every day if not more than once a day. And this is when it becomes a problem because then you are putting yourself at a high risk. I mean, no one should self harm but the way we normally deal with over coming the self harm is to overcome the issues behind it. When self harm gets out of control like it did with me and may be coming with you, we did to look at the situation a bit more because of the risk of you doing it badly and something happening to you. Does that make any sense?

We can't give you a diagnosis of Depression or Anxiety because we aren't medically trained to do so, but the best way to get a diagnosis is to to see your doctor and to either ask them to diagnose you (but they may not want too) or to ask to be referred to a mental health team to see a psychiatrist who will normally get to know you over a period of time and get to know what's going on with you and will then be able to give you a diagnosis if needed.

I have been in mental health services since I was young and see my doctor since I was young too and the only times they have needed to contact my parents was when I was at a high risk. IE cutting deeply, suicidal, attempted suicide and was in hospital etc. And I know some of this may relate to you, it may not, but if it does, please don't hide it because your parents may find out. You deserve the help and support from the services you can get it from and I'd hate for you to miss out on that help because you're too scared for your parents to know. Talk to your parents even and tell them what's going on. You don't have to go into all the details but explain you feel low and that you want to see someone for it etc. They love you and I am sure they would want to support you through this.

I know this is a hard fight but you are worth more than self harm and don't deserve to be hurting yourself okay? You can get through this and to the other side. Please feel free to PM me if you need anything. You are never alone in this and I'll do anything that I can to help you in any way at all. Stay strong and stay fighting. The fight is hard but thats because its worth it.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread