TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jam

LISTEN - August 19th 2015, 03:41 AM

No body listens to me. I try to talk to people to let them know whats going on and they dont listen to a word i say. They just push my problem away so that they dont have to deal with them, or with me. My parents do this, they did it when they found out about the sh. Like it was no big deal. My "friend" is doing this too, like she doesnt even care about me. I almost had a freaking panic attack today and she still wouldnt listen to me. I need help, but no one cares. Im feeling alone, and im having some serious anxiety, both of which trigger me. And im so sick of having to put on this act like im ok when im definitly not. I HATE it. Im so tired of constantly being judged and ridiculed and practically disowned from everyone i love. Im so sick of pretending and keepig it in, but i dont really have any other choice. Whats the point of speaking at all if nobody listens?

I dont have anyone to help me, im alone, im panicking. Urges are really strong tonight. Anxiety is so bad i want to throw up. Is anyone out there actually listening to me? Will someone please help me?

I know you are looking for a sea that lies beyond your reach
But im hoping my heart can stop you before you reach the beach
I know you have places to go
I know that you want the sea
But im hoping my heart will grow and that you'll
come back to me.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandy

Re: LISTEN - August 19th 2015, 04:05 AM

Hey strawberryjam...I'm listening! Don't give up there are people who care. You can talk to me whenever you want and I will listen and reply.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: LISTEN - August 20th 2015, 05:25 AM

Self-harm is a topic still widely misunderstood by many people. Therefore, they often a) don't take it as seriously as they should or b) become uncomfortable speaking about it and avoid the subject. Neither reaction is right, but it is unfortunately how things often are.

You spoke of feeling as if you must pretend everything is okay, but you shouldn't feel that you have to put on an act due to not being listened to. I would suggest looking around to see who is in your life that you think may be able to listen and help, such as a counselor or otherwise. Best wishes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: LISTEN - August 27th 2015, 11:46 PM

Hi there.

I am sorry you are reaching out to your parents and your friend but it feels like they aren't listening to you. That must be really hard to take when you're actually being honest about something so hard to be honest about but be proud of yourself for reaching out. Thats a great first step and something to be proud of yourself for. Also, thank you for reaching out to us here at Teenhelp.

The urges are hard to beat. Do you have any techniques that really help you in the moment? Distractions can be brilliant so things like writing, reading, tv, films, walks, puzzles, baths, games, socilizing etc can be helpful. Things like holding cold ice only against your skin can be a safe way of getting pain although I personally don't like that one, some people do just like the one of snapping an elastic band round your wrist. Doing distractions and alternatives to self harm can get tiring but I want to encourage you to keep trying them because some will help you, it's just finding the ones that do and even when they don't, as long as you are doing them, you are staying safe and that is whats important. You being safe and well. Trust me when I say you are worth more than the urges and the pain you would be putting yourself through and I hate the thought of you hurting yourself because you honestly don't deserve it at all. You deserve so much better and you can beat these urges. You are strong enough and we are here to help you through it but you have to want the change too and be willing to make those changes, but we will help you along the way.

Is there someone else you can reach out to other than your parents and you friend? Maybe another family member or a teacher or your GP/Doctor who can support you through this? You have to keep reaching out for help as hard as it is because there will be someone out there who will help you and you deserve that help. You don't deserve to go through this alone. My school were so supportive to me and I would like to think that yours would be the same. Just remember that you don't have to suffer in silence and if you're really struggling you can always ring a hotline.

I know this is hard but you can beat it and get through to the other side, okay? Stay strong and stay focused and remember we're here for you, to root you on and to listen to you and support you. I believe in you.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread