TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cybergrace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Hiding scars in locker room? - August 19th 2015, 11:48 PM

Next week when I head back to school, I will be playing a varsity sport at my college. The problem is not only that I have to change in the locker room, but that we all shower together after practice in one room with no stalls or curtains. I have scars from cutting on my hips, some still fresh. I was wondering if anyone would notice them/ does anyone have any ideas to make them less noticeable?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 20th 2015, 12:09 AM

Since you'll be showering there isn't much you can do to hide them, but my guess is that most people won't notice since they'll be trying to respect privacy as much as possible and not look at other people

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 20th 2015, 12:39 AM

If someone notices you have the right to decline discussing them with the person.
More people may be understanding than you think though since many people struggle with self harm or have friends that do.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 20th 2015, 02:00 AM

Hey,

I think people probably won't notice them, but if you're worried, you can try putting aloe vera, cocoa butter, or lemon juice (not on any fresh/open cuts obviously), which is supposed to make them fade. You can also use waterproof makeup to cover them (again, only over old scars, not fresh ones). If none of those work or are accessible, you might be able to skip the team showers. You can say you babysit or tutor or are busy right after practice and have to run straight home. I don't know if this would be at all normal, but you could wear short spandex shorts in the shower.

Hope some of those helped. Good luck!
~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cybergrace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 20th 2015, 04:12 AM

Thanks for your suggestions I think I will probably try to skip team showers until some of the scars fade - I do hope people will understand if they find out, but right now no one knows about it and I'm not ready to have people know that about me. Even if they do understand, it can't help but change how they see me and I'm just not sure I'm ready for that.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 20th 2015, 06:27 AM

Hi there,

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this right now. Often times having to cover the scars can be very difficult, though we try to urge everyone here to get help to prevent the scars before they happen we also understand that you can't take back what has happened in the past. So as far as covering them you can maybe use waterproof band aids, or liquid latex ( that is often skin colored) as long as you have no allergies. Otherwise your best bet is probably going to be skip the team showers. Personally I would be skipping them anyways, I get so uncomfortable naked in front of others. Make sure that you are keeping any open wounds as clean and dry as much as possible so that they heal faster. Good luck! Take care!

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 26th 2015, 01:11 AM

The way I see it, if they do notice the cuts, they probably won't say anything. Who wants to be the one who admitted they looked that way in the first place?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheTameLion Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeff

Re: Hiding scars in locker room? - August 28th 2015, 04:32 AM

Hmmmm, wave your dick around so they won't want to look at you? Nah in all seriousness there's not much you can do to be honest other than straight up avoiding that environment

Closed Thread