TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Doctors Wolf
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Moon

Unhappy Please help me Stop - September 28th 2015, 06:06 PM

So my cutting problem is horrid I can't wear shorts or short sleeves or even lift my sleeves a little my arms are covered and so many people get a lot of hate for it. I don't want people to treat me different so how can I stop cutting? I literally reach for the blades every night and I just can't stop. Please help me. Is there alternative ways? I've heard of the rubber band thing but that doesn't work so please help me thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Please help me Stop - September 28th 2015, 08:31 PM

Hey,

The first step towards recovery is reaching out, so you should be incredibly proud of yourself for doing that now. I think that you did a really big thing, as admitting you have a problem is one of the first ways to get through it.

Is there any way you can hide the blades or make them harder for you to get at? For example, you may be able to put them in another room or bury them underneath a lot of belongings, because that way it takes effort to get them. By the time you get to the tool, your urge may have faded a bit to a point where you can manage them.

This is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm. You asked for other things you can try, so this link may be really useful. These are healthier and safer ways to cope with what is going on. Some of them even offer other sensations other than pain, so this may be something you want to check out. Remember that even if one alternative doesn't work for you, another will, so don't give up and do keep trying!

Self harm isn't worth it. As you know, it becomes an addiction and you have to worry about people finding out and treating you badly. You also risk infection. Also, you aren't actually solving the problems, but you are making them worse. It's really not worth it, so I hope the alternatives help you some.

Maybe you can find ways to express your emotions such as writing, art, or music. Writing is also awesome because it can help you identify your triggers if you aren't sure. Exercise is another really wonderful way to release stress. You can also practice self care by doing things like taking a warm bath or shower then curling up with a good book or movie, painting your nails, doing your hair, or eating your favorite goodies. You deserve it!

I know you may be scared of people finding out, but I strongly urge you to reach out to some of the trusted people in your life. They love you and care about you, so I bet they would be more than willing to help you through this. It can help a lot just to have someone to vent to, but it can also help to have someone who can help you solve some of the problems and suggest coping mechanisms.

Stay strong, I know you can do this!

-Dez

Closed Thread