TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Doctors Wolf
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Moon

Unhappy HELP - September 30th 2015, 03:23 AM

I am trying to not cut so I reached out to my best friend and told her she was upset but supportive she said she wouldn't tell if I would stop but if I kept going she would do the best for me and tell someone. So PLEASE HELP ME I need to stop for her and fir myself. I'm sick of long sleeves and jeans and making excuses I need help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: HELP - September 30th 2015, 03:32 AM

Hey,

I think that it is great that you told your best friend. I am very glad that you got support from her.

One thing that you may want to consider doing is sitting down with your friend. I definitely understand that she wants to tell someone, because she wants to see you safe, but you are right that it is super hard to recover. Do you think you can let her know that you really do want to get better and recover, but you are having a super hard time right now and are not sure what to do? Maybe the two of you can brainstorm some things you can do.

Maybe you can make a list of things you can do. It may help to have a support system, so if possible try and get some other people who you trust into your support system, so you have multiple people to talk to. Maybe you can start off by making a list of people to call or text, even if it's just for a chat or distraction. What are some coping mechanisms you can do, or want to try? Write them down. Write down some soothing songs that you may be able to play, or some uplifting movies you may be able to watch. That way, when you have urges, you have a plan in place of things you can do, which can really help.

You can also write down a list of the reasons you want to recover. This can be anything. It may be that you don't want scars or infections. It may be that you know you are stronger than this and worth more than this. It may be that you want to stop for your friend. Anything that is a reason for you, write it down. This way you always have a reminder of everything that makes stopping worthwhile. Also write down or print out encouraging quotes or images, because that way you have a reminder that you can do this!

Any small accomplishment counts, also remember that. Any moment, hour, day without self harm is an accomplishment. Be proud of these things and reward yourself for these while also remembering bumps in the road happen. It's all part of recovery.

You've got this!

-Dez

Closed Thread