TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lombaXian Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,652, Level: 10 Points: 4,652, Level: 10 Points: 4,652, Level: 10

How much harm did smoking do to me? - November 28th 2015, 11:17 AM

Hello!This is my first post on this forum.I'm curious about one thing.I tried smoking this summer.The first experience was very bad.My friend picked up a menthol cigarette.I only took a few drags and inhaled twice, then i threw it away.It was horrible.I was coughing up.But I quite liked the taste of tobacco.So, a few weeks later, i bought myself another cigarette(the same as the first) but I didn't click that thing to release the menthol taste.It was quite good.I liked the tobacco taste.Then, I started looking up on the internet for good cigarettes, to taste.I am quite like an aficionado or how they're called.Now, this autumn, I bought my first pack of cigarettes, just a few weeks before this post.Djarum Blacks, the best in town.The rich tobacco, the sweet flavour of clove....just wow.I savoured those cigarettes just like a glass of wine.Now, yesterday, I bought myself a pack of Dunhills.They're good, too.
Now, getting to the subject.I want to finish up the pack of Dunhills too.I am curious about the overall damage I've done to my body.(lungs, liver etc) with all this.I am not addicted at all, I feel no need to smoke.I just want to taste the tobacco, which I like.
So, am I prone to serious diseases and conditions on the long term?I am 15 years old but I look like an 18 year old.Doctors said I have strong genes.When I finish up my exams(which are in summer), I want to practise sports again(I quit because of school.
Thank you beforehand for your time answering my question!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: How much harm did smoking do to me? - November 29th 2015, 12:14 PM

Hello there,

Welcome to TeenHelp if you have any questions about anything feel free to send myself or another volunteering staff a message.

I think the most important thing here is do you want to continue to play sports where you want to stop smoking cigarettes? OR do you want to continue to smoke cigarette and not play sports?

We aren't allowed to give out medical advice here on TeenHelp, however, your body is still growing at the age of 15. It seems you haven't smoked a lot of nicotine which means after 24-72 hours the nicotine will be gone and out of your system (if someone were to smoke more and for a much longer period of time, this would be different).

It sounds like sports are something you really enjoy and this can be an outlet to use to not smoke cigarettes. I know you mentioned you want to play sports again after exams, are you able to play sports before summer? You mention you don't have any cravings but you enjoy the taste. Those two things sometimes are missed, you miss the taste so you have some cravings for it. Is it possible to find another healthier alternative to smoking? You could use something you enjoy the taste of and replace the nicotine taste with that. For instance if you enjoy vanilla, you can taste the natural vanilla to replace the nicotine cravings.

Ultimately, this is your decision to quit smoking.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.
Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: How much harm did smoking do to me? - November 30th 2015, 09:36 PM

No permanent damage. The damage is cumulative over time and a few packs in your life isnt going to do it. I used to smoke like a pack a day for a couple years in college before I quit. Smoked weed everyday on top of that too. Although my lungs were definitely dirty for a while as I lost endurance and would sometimes cough a lot, everything was back to 100 percent after I quit smoking cigarettes.

[Edited]

Last edited by Kitty.; December 14th 2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Suggesting illegal activity is against the Code of Conduct. OP is 15.
Closed Thread