TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Possible self harm distraction. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t142799-possible-self-harm-distraction/)

Catlady December 29th 2015 04:27 AM

Possible self harm distraction.

Hey everyone!
So I've been really down. Not sure why just lots of thoughts and stuff. I got this adult coloring book for Christmas, it's a cat one! Ha and let me tell you it's Sooo therapeutic! I felt like self harming REALLY bad and I was like no! I can't. I just can't. I have to break this habit. Or else it will kill me. Soo, I got out this coloring book and it got my mind off of it all! I was just focusing on what colors I was going to use. Oh make sure I stay in the lines! Ha and let me tell you I'm not artsy AT ALL. Now the feelings have passed and I feel much better! So I say it's worth a shot!
Stay strong everyone! You got this! <3
As always message me anytime :)

Ennui. December 29th 2015 04:30 AM

Re: Possible self harm distraction.

You are so right that coloring can be therapeutic! I am so glad it's helped you out a lot!

Maybe you can even find other artistic things to do, like make things out of Play Doh. I know it sounds silly, but a few years back I volunteered with children who were really young, like pre-school and younger, and when I played with Play Doh with them, it was such a stress relief. D:

DeletedAccount71 December 29th 2015 05:22 AM

Coloring is a great way to help cope with self-harm urges! I'm glad you've found something that works for you. :)

DeletedAccount11 December 29th 2015 06:14 AM

After seeing your threads and knowing you have been struggling a lot lately, I was happy to read this.

Coloring must be a great distraction that relieves stress also. I'm glad to hear you discovered coloring. Keep it up! Have you ever heard of paint by numbers? You can get kits that come with different colors of paint, the brush and the canvas of course! There are lines on the canvas and numbers to let you know what color paint to use. You can alternate between coloring and painting so you don't get tired of one. You may find jigsaw puzzles helpful too.

I am proud of you for using it as a distraction when you have urges. You can beat self-harm! Stay strong and PM me if you need anything. :)

Green Yoshi December 29th 2015 08:41 AM

:D I'm so happy to read this, and i want you to know that you can beat any negative thoughts or words you may encounter. And nothing'e beyond your grasp :)

Remember that you can pm me too! I'm so proud of you! :hug:

Catlady December 29th 2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epiphany. (Post 1217586)
You are so right that coloring can be therapeutic! I am so glad it's helped you out a lot!

Maybe you can even find other artistic things to do, like make things out of Play Doh. I know it sounds silly, but a few years back I volunteered with children who were really young, like pre-school and younger, and when I played with Play Doh with them, it was such a stress relief. D:

Yes! Thanks! That's also a great idea! I will try it :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanceCommander (Post 1217593)
Coloring is a great way to help cope with self-harm urges! I'm glad you've found something that works for you. :)

Yesss, thank you :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nala (Post 1217600)
After seeing your threads and knowing you have been struggling a lot lately, I was happy to read this.

Coloring must be a great distraction that relieves stress also. I'm glad to hear you discovered coloring. Keep it up! Have you ever heard of paint by numbers? You can get kits that come with different colors of paint, the brush and the canvas of course! There are lines on the canvas and numbers to let you know what color paint to use. You can alternate between coloring and painting so you don't get tired of one. You may find jigsaw puzzles helpful too.

I am proud of you for using it as a distraction when you have urges. You can beat self-harm! Stay strong and PM me if you need anything. :)

Thank you! :hug: I will definitely try that. My mom actually got me several puzzles she read that it was good to get your mind off of stuff. So I'm going to try that next time. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Yoshi (Post 1217610)
:D I'm so happy to read this, and i want you to know that you can beat any negative thoughts or words you may encounter. And nothing'e beyond your grasp :)

Remember that you can pm me too! I'm so proud of you! :hug:

:hug: Thank you! It makes me so happy that people are proud of me :)