TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
idonthaveaclue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10

Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 17th 2016, 03:57 PM

For the past 6months or so I have been on citalopram..visiting my doctor on a monthly basis for a review. However there is something i havn't told her (that i self harm) and im not sure if i should or not since my mum usually goes into see her straight after me?! (noone other than the doctor knows about my anxiety my mum thinks i go to the doctor for something else) but yeah im 19 from scotland if that helps....Any advice ?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 17th 2016, 04:08 PM

Hey. I'm sorry to hear that you SH. Just know that you aren't alone, and if there is anything I can do for you, or if you just want to chat, I'm always here.

I've been in a similar situation. Sadly, I was underage at the time, so my doctor told my family everything and because I was underage, I was forced to go in to the hospital for treatment. I'm not sure how things are where you're at, I'm in the US. I'm not sure if they can force treatment on you against your will, but telling your doctor may be a good idea, and they may be able to help you find the help you need to stop the SH habit before something bad happens.

I know here, once you're of age, your doctor can't tell your family anything, even if you still live with them or not. If your doctor isn't telling your mother about your anxiety, I'd say the same rule applies for you. In which case, just explain do your doctor that you don't want your mom to know, and they won't tell her anything.

As for actually telling your doctor, I'd say just explain to your doctor that you do this, but you're coming to them in confidence to try and stop. Explain to them that you're reaching out, but that you don't want your mother to know. Maybe they will be able to point you in the right direction for a good therapist, or even help you out them self.

I really hope this helps, and remember if you ever need to chat, I'm just a message away. Keep your head up.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 17th 2016, 04:49 PM

Like it was said, as long as you're of age, they shouldn't disclose any of your information to your family. I'm in the US as well, and for us, that's eighteen. I actually told my doctor about self-harm and suicidal thoughts yesterday because it has to do with my pain management treatment, but she didn't tell my mom because I'm already in treatment for mental health.

I think you can tell her verbally, and explain that you're trying to stop self-harming at the moment. If you won't want to tell her verbally, maybe she has some contact information out there and you can call her or email her? You can also write a note and give it to her which will allow her to start the conversation, because I know starting the conversation can be hard.

Do keep us updated on this!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
idonthaveaclue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 17th 2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
Like it was said, as long as you're of age, they shouldn't disclose any of your information to your family. I'm in the US as well, and for us, that's eighteen. I actually told my doctor about self-harm and suicidal thoughts yesterday because it has to do with my pain management treatment, but she didn't tell my mom because I'm already in treatment for mental health.

I think you can tell her verbally, and explain that you're trying to stop self-harming at the moment. If you won't want to tell her verbally, maybe she has some contact information out there and you can call her or email her? You can also write a note and give it to her which will allow her to start the conversation, because I know starting the conversation can be hard.

Do keep us updated on this!
thank guys...yeah the note idea sounds good allthough not even sure how i would start that??
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 17th 2016, 05:56 PM

If you decide to write a note, just be as honest as you can. What you tell your doctor is up to you, but if you need some starting points, tell your doctor the minimum she needs to know so you can get the proper help because talking a lot about it can feel overwhelming. Maybe you can tell her how long you've been doing it, when you do it or what feelings make you want to do it, how you take care of your injuries, and any alternatives you find helpful. Don't be afraid to express your needs, either. Tell your doctor what you think will help you so she knows what she can do.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 20th 2016, 03:54 AM

Hey there,

Writing a note or simply writing it out and reading it to the doctor has always helped me when there have been difficult things I didn't know how to discuss. She should be really open to anything you have to say and the more information that you supply her with the better able she will be at helping you.

Do you think that getting into therapy would be a good thing? A therapist can help you talk things out and work on identifying coping skills. Self harm is your coping skill and you can work on identifying positive coping skills. A therapist can help you with that or you can look at Alternatives to Self Harm. I know the alternatives have helped me quite a bit. I haven't used all the ones suggested but I've found ones that have worked for me. It did take me some time though. Also, you might not find a coping skill that gives you quite the same release as self harm but you can get through that and find that the other coping skills you have work just as well but in different ways.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Not sure how to tell doctor i self harm?! - February 20th 2016, 07:39 AM

Hello there!!

I think that when it comes to SH .. it might be better to tell her little by little at first, too. I know that's going to be some stretch.. most people normally don't tell the whole problem/issue in one go(though if you did, it would help her to help you even more ) so don't force yourself if you're uncomfortable or still kinda worried about it, because I know that the worry and the anxiety that comes from possibly doubting your action is also something else to worry about.

Most of all, it'll be better for you if you are able to replace your Self Harm with something happier that will help you explore what you have, as well as explore your feelings at the same time. I know that's not part of your question, but I just wanted to put in some advice that might help. There's plenty of things you could do in order to rant out your feelings, and these activities could even help you in the future, as well as remind yourself that you can make a change.

Things will get better! In case you want a hug or just need a friend to rant to , I'll always be around!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread