TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Self-harming in class - February 8th 2017, 03:49 PM

So I barely got any sleep last night I kept waking up every hour and it felt like I hadn't slept. I am so aggitated and restless. Every little thing is bugging the shit out of me. My computer is some how fucked up and it won't let me restart it.

I know it is really bad but I have been self-harming in this class. I haven't been cutting or anything but I have been biting myself. It is really easy to hide because I have a baggy ass sweatshirt on and just put my arm up to my mouth and it's done, or my hand.

It really sucks because I hate self-harming any way. But it feels like I bite myself without realizing it and then I realize it when I feel pain and it calms me down so I don't stop.

I have no clue what to do. I also have a class at 12:30 and it is 8;41am for me right now. This class ends at 9:20. I ugh.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Self-harming in class - February 8th 2017, 07:26 PM

Do you think there are any fidget toys you could bring with you, so instead of biting, you have something that you can fiddle with? There's one that I've seen on Facebook actually that has all sorts of buttons and switches and things like that and a friend of mine actually purchased one and said she loves it. You can probably find other types elsewhere, though. But maybe something small that you can just hold in your hand will help because then maybe instead of biting unconsciously, your mind will go to the fidget toy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Self-harming in class - February 9th 2017, 09:21 PM

Hi, Frankie.

Firstly, I'm proud of you for reaching out. Even though it calms you, you're still recognizing it isn't healthy and are looking for a way to refrain from it.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble sleeping last night. Lack of sleep can cause additional stress and other negative feelings. Do you have anything that helps you sleep when you are otherwise having trouble doing so? Does writing out your thoughts, getting up and walking around the house, or having a tea help?

As Dez suggested, is there anything you can bring to school to fiddle with instead? You could get yourself in a habit of messing with that instead of harming yourself. You could fiddle with the strings on a hoodie, wear bracelets to fiddle with, or even bring silly putty to fiddle with if you want. You could carry a shoe string and tie it over and over while you are waiting or thinking as well since it'd keep your hands occupied but not distract you too much from your actual schoolwork or teachers. Experiment with different techniques such as those and see what works best for you.

I hope this helped. Take care, Frankie and let me know if you need anything!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self-harming in class - February 10th 2017, 01:09 PM

I really like the idea of a fidget toy. I know they don't work for everyone but there are a lot of different ones out there you could try. If you don't want to do that, you can try something simple like a shoe lace, bracelet, or a hair tie, as Nala said.

Something else to consider is removing your sweatshirt and putting it away while you're in class. That way, you can't hide anything you do to yourself. This may make you reluctant to bite yourself.

You could try to practice mindfulness during class, too; perhaps that could make you more aware of whether or not you're going to try harming yourself.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Duhitzkahlie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kahlie

Re: Self-harming in class - February 10th 2017, 05:12 PM

you could try sin a stress re-leaver or a iblume squishy or something that you can keep in your hand

I cant change your mind right now, kid, but i want you to know, if someone care's about you, you should give them a chance- especially if they've never had one before.

~Travis diaries season 2 episode 35

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Self-harming in class - February 11th 2017, 06:51 PM

I also like the fidget toy idea! something I would also try would be maybe chewing gum in class? It might distract yourself too.

I used to self harm regularly in high school. I would go to the washroom. It was hard to stop, so if you can stop quickly it's best.

Definitely try the gum though!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Self-harming in class - February 11th 2017, 07:18 PM

Hello

Thanks for coming to us here for some help and advice.

I am sorry you had a bad night and it made you very tired. Self harming in class is a hard one but I can relate to it a little bit.

I think fidget toys are a good idea. I know I use tangles or stress balls. There are also these cube things you can buy online with lots of little games on them. It might help to try and think of a few things to try and use because everything might not work all the time. Trying relaxation and breathing techniques could also be a good thing if you feel you could try it. And mindfulness too. Even having a little notepad to doodle in if you get agitated to keep your mind distracted and hands busy to prevent you from self harming in a public place like in a class room.

I hope this is some what helpful. I was also wondering whether there is something like time-out you can take while at school. I know I had this and it helped sometimes to take five minutes out to gather my thoughts together and feel a little better. Do you by any chance have anyone that supports you within school who you feel you could talk to at these times? It might be worth bringing it up with someone within your school so that instead of getting agitated and worked up in class, you can go to this person for a quick chat and a source of support.

I hope things begin to look up for you

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread