TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SuzuyaJuzzou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Question Help. Me. - February 23rd 2017, 05:10 AM

Hello, I'm a young girl (Barely a teen) and I think about cutting myself. A lot actually, it's a daily thing. I have only gotten to cut myself once, but now I can imagine my arms and my thighs bleeding until I collapse and, in a nutshell, die. Although this may not seem as bad as other posts on here, I admit, it's really not, it stops me from acting "normal". I easily have panic attacks, and I've begun to hear a voice screaming at me to "DO IT!" and crap like that. I'd get more in depth on the voice and other stuff, but I don't believe it'd fit with the topic of this forum. So please, just give me advice so I don't worry my friends anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Help. Me. - February 23rd 2017, 08:01 PM

Hi Sarah

Thank you for coming to us here. You don't deserve to be alone in this at all and I am glad you have reached out to us. By the way, no ones problems are "worse" than anyone else's and everyone who is struggling deserves help!

Can I ask, how are you feeling? Do you feel sad and low etc? It sounds like you are going through a really rough time and as hard as it is and as hard as the urges to self harm are to manage, I want to really encourage you to keep fighting the urges. You do not deserve to cause harm to yourself and in all honestly it is not going to help in any way. You deserve so much better.

Has something happened to make you feel like you want to cause this pain to yourself? Maybe something has happened in the past which plays on your mind a lot or maybe something is happening now and causing you upset or maybe you are worried about something in the future? It is okay if there is nothing, but I also want you to know that if there is, you can talk to us about whenever you want and when you feel ready. We will just listen to you and try to help and support you through it.

What do you feel you would get out of hurting yourself? For example, I self harm because for me, the physical pain stops the emotional pain I am feeling. But sometimes people do it as a form of punishment, to see themselves bleed etc, because they want someone to see they are self harming so they an get the help they desperately want. I am just wondering why and how you feel self harming is going to help you.

Have you tried using distractions when you have an urge to harm yourself? Things like reading, writing, watching tv or a film, going for a walk, painting nails, spending time with a pet, being around others and going out with friends to the cinema and out for lunch etc, doing work, cleaning, art, playing a game, doing sport, listening to music, relaxtion, self soothing and so on can all help. But it is so important that you remember not everything is going to help you so it is all about trial and error and not giving up on everything when something does not help.

Have you ever tried mindfulness too? It can be really hard to get the hang of but it can be helpful for a lot of people and I know I personally find it very helpful when I am struggling a lot but it can take will and mind power.

I was also wondering whether you have anyone to talk too back home? Maybe someone such as a friend, a family member, a teacher, a counsellor, a school nurse or your doctor/GP. All these people care about you and can help but only if they know what is going on for you right now. I also want you to know that we are always here for you so never struggle in silence.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread