TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Minor burn - March 24th 2017, 05:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I just burned myself for the first time I think. there is red lines and it burns. How am I supposed to take care of it?

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Minor burn - March 24th 2017, 06:00 PM

Hi, Essa.

It does not replace seeking medical attention but here is helpful information from the First Aid Information thread:

Quote:
1. Flood injured part with cold water for at least 10 minutes to stop burning and relieve pain.
2. Gently remove jewellery, watches, belts, etc before it starts to swell.
3. Cover area with sterile dressing or a clean, non-fluffy pad and bandage losely in place. A plastic bag or kitchen film would also make a temporary covering. This will prevent infection.

If blisters appear, do not burst them. Apply a non-adhesive dressing that extends beyond the edges of the blister and leave in place until it subsides.
You may find Aloe Vera soothing as well. In the meantime, take good care of it, don't pick at it even if it becomes tempting, keep it covered and take steps in preventing an infection. If you feel that the burn is more than just a minor burn, or you see any signs of infection such as increasing pain/soreness, swelling, redness, pus inside/oozing out of the wound or other symptoms, it'd be a great step to go to the doctor for further treatment.

I am sorry you have burned your skin. I hope you are able to refrain from burning in the future as it is easy to develop an infection that way. You deserve much better than self-harm. Take care and remember that we're here if you need anything, okay? Let me know how you're doing, Essa!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Minor burn - March 24th 2017, 09:01 PM

Dear Essa,

as Nala mentioned you should soak your hand in cold water. Have you got any ointments or gels for burns at home? They're very relieving and good for burnt skin. Don't pop blisters.
Sorry to hear that you burnt yourself. I hope you'll get better soon. Keep us updated on your condition and don't hesitate to send me a message if there's anything you'd like to talk about. <3
Take care,
Sue

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Minor burn - March 25th 2017, 04:09 AM

Hi Essa,

I have burned myself a few times. In order to take care of them, I would run it under cold water, as was mentioned above. I then put ointment on it with a bandaid.

If it gets worse, make sure you go to the hospital. It will be sensitive for a while.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Minor burn - March 26th 2017, 08:00 AM

As others have posted, I've burnt myself before for self harm. I found that what the first aid thread said was true. Cold water works wonders, and there's over the counter burn ointment, however, as mine were minor I did not cover them up, I let the air get to them to let the burns breathe.

Also, when it starts healing it will itch and become dry - when that happens putting on some bag balm will relieve the itching. I had to get medical attention for that reason, and bag balm was what my doctor suggested in the healing stage.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Minor burn - March 27th 2017, 02:11 PM

Everyone else has given you great advice, though there is something I would like to add. From what I understand, and have experienced, burns can get infected quite easily. I know people sometimes want an infection after self-harming, but burn infections are very unpleasant and concerning. Even if you aren't up for self-care, try to take care of your burn as best as you can because an infected burn can be scary.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread