TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
7aerith7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cass

Tattoos? - April 9th 2017, 08:56 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey there. I've wanted tattoos since I was very, very young, but recently I've dealing with self-destructive urges and so I've cut myself on my arms and legs. sorry.

I really would love to get my arms and legs tattooed. I've wanted to for so long.

But if I set an appointment at a tattoo shop, would the artist be freaked out by the scars? would they be unable to ink my skin there? what if I get the urge again? I don't know if having the tattoos would prevent me from cutting or if I wouldn't be able to control myself and ruin my tattoos. What should I do??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Tattoos? - April 9th 2017, 09:25 PM

I don't think the artist would be freaked out by the scars. None of the artists who did my ink seemed to be freaked out by them, and there are a lot of them. However, depending on the scars it's possible that they may not be able to tattoo over them. Many of my scars are keloids (raised about the rest of the skin) and that would make it difficult to tattoo them. However, don't lost hope. It may just be a matter of finding the right artists and possibly giving your scars more time to heal. They tend to fade as the years go on. Some tattoo artists do specialize in covering SH scars so you may want to try and find someone like that.

As for whether or not you'll SH over your ink, in the end that's up to you. I understand urges can get overwhelming; I've almost cut over one of my tattoos many times when urges have been strong. However, perhaps you could make a list of reasons not to. Tattoos are expensive, and repairing it when you're feeling better might be even more expensive, or even not possible. Remember that urges will pass, but harming your tattoo will be there for the rest of your life. Even though urges can be overwhelming it's important to try to not do damage in the midst of them.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cass

Re: Tattoos? - April 11th 2017, 01:58 AM

Most tattoo artists are super chill and cool. They probably won't judge you. When I get my tattoo's done on a spot where I self-harmed he just asked me about and how long I stopped, and that was it. No judgement, I honestly find that that crowd of people is a lot less judgmental than most.

Also, they can go over scars. It doesn't matter how deep or what not. Just be aware the bigger the scar tissue the more painful the tattoo will be. Also, the tattoo might be slightly raised depending on how thick the scar tissue is. A lot of artists can beautifully cover over scars. I've seen them do it over people who have been really badly wounded from accidents and it looks really amazing when they're done.

I wouldn't worry to much. Just set up an appointment and see what you can get done.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Tattoos? - April 12th 2017, 03:06 AM

Hey Cass,

So most tattoo artist are really down to earth and don't really care about the scars. Depending on the scars they may not be able to tattoo over them. Also in order for them to be able to tattoo over the scars they have to be completely healed. I have heard that most tattoo artist will not tattoo over a scar until it is at least a year old, that way it is completely healed.

I have tattoos on both my arms and wrist where I have scars and I had no problem but the scars were at least 2-3 years old. I also have a tattoo right above my knee and it is over scars but those are over 4 years old.

For any tattoo I recommend researching places or asking friends on where they went and if they recommend the place and an artist. I would then go and show them where you want your tattoo and ask them about your scars and whether they are old enough and if they are able to tattoo over it.

If you have any other questions about tattoos and scars feel free to pm/vm me and I will answer as best as I can.

Your Friend,
Essa

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tattooed Heart Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Teagan

Re: Tattoos? - April 12th 2017, 04:07 PM

I have many tattoos on my arms and legs. Although I have never cut I know the shop I go to and the Artists there would not say a word or freak about any scars at all. Now according to the severity of the scars it may just be impossible for the Artist to ink over those areas, but that would be a judgement call on the Artists part and they would consult you about that issue in private.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Starlett Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tal

Re: Tattoos? - April 12th 2017, 04:33 PM

I recently read an article about a tattoo artist here in Ireland who is offering one free scar cover up tattoo a week because he has experienced self harm. I think it's an awesome idea and I am definitely going to message him. But to answer your questions, yes it can be done. Obviously each artist is different so you would need to ask them. If this seems a bit daunting, maybe you could email or call a shop. I'm sure you won't be the first person asking. They may need more specific details but at least you can find out their openness to it without putting yourself in a vulnerable situation at the start. As for urges and ruining a tattoo... I guess it's always a possibility but have faith in yourself that looking at an awesome tattoo will remind you of how far you've come and hopefully make it less likely that you'll want to cut there.

Closed Thread