TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

The urges are so strong - April 15th 2017, 02:25 AM

So iv been dealing with a lot of trauma recently. Working through things with my therapist and with that iv been having a lot of sh urges come up. The urges are so strong i feel like i have to do it or i'll have a mental breakdowm. Today i had a session and i totally freaked out on the therapist. And started self harming in front of her. I usually never self harm in front of people but the urges were so strong i didnt even care she was there. My therapist literally had to wrestle me to the ground for the sharp object i had. Had anyone felt like this? How do i get past this? Do the urges ever stop?

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am. -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: The urges are so strong - April 17th 2017, 03:49 AM

Working through trauma can be really difficult and even though working through it is a positive thing, self-harm urges may frequently occur. It is different for everyone but you have asked if anyone has ever felt like this before; I never self-harmed with a sharp object in front of my therapist, but I did frequently pinch or scratch myself. I know my own trauma brings up a lot of urges to self-harm.

Some people are dependent on the chemicals that are released when they self-harm and this can make the urges strong as well. If you struggle with a physical dependency, the urges themselves can feel physical, like a physical need to cut.

How often are you seeing your therapist? Are you able to see her more often to work through things, and to keep yourself safe? Regardless, maybe you could try writing a letter as if you're writing it to her to see if it helps. You could also make a safety plan with her.

Do you have any favorite alternatives, or ones that have worked really well in the past? Maybe you can rely on those to see if that helps. If not, you could always try new alternatives; you could look into a new hobby or try something different.

I think getting past it just involves taking it one step, one day, one hour, or one self-harm urge at a time. It can be hard, but it helps if you take it by the moment and do what is safest and healthiest for you in that moment. Processing trauma can bring a lot of painful memories and self-harm urges and those may decrease when you've worked through it.

I think urges decrease in frequency and intensity, and perhaps they do stop for periods of time. It takes a lot of work to get there but it can be done.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread