TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bianca_Mae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bianca

Ways to tell a friend? - April 24th 2017, 08:39 PM

So, I wanna tell a friend that I self harm, so when I'm having a particularly bad day I can talk to them.

And ideas on how to?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Ways to tell a friend? - April 24th 2017, 11:10 PM

I want to start off by saying that it is really wonderful that you want to tell a friend about your self harm. It is first really awesome that you have someone in your life that you trust and feel that you can talk to about this, and then it is great that you want to tell someone in general. Telling someone about self harm takes so much courage, so you should be proud!

One way to tell someone about self harm is in the form of a letter. Basically you'd get out everything you'd want to say to them in this letter, such as the fact that you are self harming and what that means, because they may not fully understand. You may also want to include ways that they can help you, because this may be worrying to them and they may want to know how they can help or what they can do to make things better. Then you can either hand them the letter or leave it where you know they'll get it and nobody else will.

Of course, you can also say everything I mentioned above (or anything else you want to tell them) verbally. It may be useful to make an outline of what you want to say before you meet with them so that way you have a general idea of the points you would like to cover. Then you can ask them either verbally or through text to meet you somewhere because you want to talk to them about something. Asking in this fashion may prevent you from backing out as much. I'd sit with them somewhere private in a quiet area where there aren't really many distractions so they can focus on talking with you.

Whether you tell them in person or through a letter, I'd let them ask questions if this is something you are comfortable with. As I said, not everyone may fully understand self harm or what you are going through, so this may clear up some misconceptions.

I wish you the best of luck! let us know how it goes!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Bianca_Mae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bianca

Smile Re: Ways to tell a friend? - April 25th 2017, 04:00 AM

I told my friend over text. I basically just said I did something bad and told him the last time I cut. He talked to me for 3 hours and we made a deal that he won't tell anyone and I will try my hardest not to cut. Every tuesday he is going to be checking to see if I relapsed.

Thanks for the help! I'm glad I have someone who knows

-Bianca

Closed Thread