TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blms Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Relapse - April 29th 2017, 09:37 AM

After a year of being clean i replapsed last night. Disappointment in yourself is such a cruel feeling. I havent even told my girlfriend, the person i tell everything to. Is it completely terrible that i missed, even if it makes me feel terrible?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Relapse - April 29th 2017, 10:14 AM

Sorry to hear that you relapsed. Maybe you can read my support post if you havent.

I want to assure you that all your efforts are not wasted. All that matters is you are keep trying not to fall into self harm again. One relapse doesnt reset your counter much.

Think of self harm like an addiction. If you had try to rewire your brain not to do it for a year already, doing it once now will not damage the whole recoevery process, at most a bit. Its never back to zero just because of that one relapse.

I know you are feeling terrible now, but its okay. You will be free from self harm again I am sure. But I do encourage you to tell it to someone you trust, so that you will not bottle up your feelings anymore.

You are not even a bit terrible. You had done so great for a year. You can do this again and further than that! I know you can do better.

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Relapse - April 29th 2017, 01:42 PM

It is not terrible that you missed self-harm, even if it does make you feel bad. Using it as a coping skill for a while and then trying not to use it in recovery can naturally make you miss it.

Like it was already said, lapsing doesn't take away from all the work you put into being a year self-harm free. What you do after lapsing is important as well. You can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.

It may help to tell your girlfriend about this when you feel ready to. Perhaps you can let her know what she can do to support you right now. If you're not ready to tell her yet, maybe you can write about how you're feeling so you don't have to keep it inside.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread