TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Secretive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy My mom was not happy with my cuts - May 15th 2017, 08:26 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm 15 and I got into an unfair fight with my mom and grandmother yesterday. When I couldn't control how I felt anymore I ended up scarring. I was a fool for not hiding them. I thought my mom would at least listen to me but she ended up beating me so hard and threatened me when I cried. She said people like me need electrocution and that I am a coward. Also she mocked me like "boohoo very funny!"
I was so scared of her and it was really hard for me to sleep. But today while she's in office she messaged me to put medicine on them and asked if they hurt. She also told me to not tell any of my friends as it will affect my future very badly.
I don't know... I just want to hear some opinions about this and similar experiences if there are any...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Holly♡ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom was not happy with my cuts - May 15th 2017, 11:29 AM

Hey I'm sorry that your going through this but this is my thought. Talk to your mum and ask for help if she doesn't give it to you then ask your grandmother and if she doesn't give it to you then I would tell like someone in school like a counsellor or someone, if at anytime you need to talk to a stranger I'm here

Holly x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: My mom was not happy with my cuts - May 15th 2017, 09:38 PM

Hey,

People can react quite unusual when dealing with things like SH but you should know that it isn't ok for people to hurt you no matter what the circumstances are. Has your mum ever reacted like this about other things before? If she has, it might be worth confiding in a friend or teacher or other trusted adult about this so that they are aware of the situation too. It isn't ok for anyone to hurt you when they are angry. However, depending on how you are, if this is the only time it has happened you may have other options. You could try speaking to your mum and eplaining everything to her properly. She may not know very much about SH. A lot of people have loads of misconceptions about it, and it could be a misunderstanding. Of course it doesn't ecuse how she treated you, but this might help to figure something out for the future.

If you're not comfortable doing that, I disagree that speaking to someone else will negatively impact your future. SH is a widely misunderstood issue but that doesn't mean that it's completely unknown. It's common in young people and there are people in place who can help you deal with it. Speaking to someone at school could be the way forward in terms of getting some help with it, for instance, if the school has access to counselling services, they may be able to help you speak to someone. I think not talking about it will be worse for you than talking about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it is something to work on. Not talking about it will possibly make you feel alone and the SH could get worse. That may affect your future more than sharing how you'e feeling with someone you trust.

I hope you can figure something out that works for you. Feel free to come back here if you need help. This site is always here and we're happy to help as much as we can.

Take care.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Black cats prowl.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My mom was not happy with my cuts - May 16th 2017, 12:02 AM

Hey,

As it's been said, people can have negative reactions to self-harm sometimes. People can act upset in the heat of the moment and then think or feel differently later on. If you feel as though your mom is safe to talk to, perhaps you can confide in her or your grandmother.

I also disagree that telling people about your self-harm will negatively impact your future. Telling people about your self-harm could open up different support networks that could help you now and in the long run.

Do you use any alternatives to self-harm? There are a lot of alternatives out there and some probably will work for you. Here is a list if you'd like to check them out.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

When black cats prowl,
and pumpkins gleam
may luck be yours
on Halloween.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Re: My mom was not happy with my cuts - May 16th 2017, 04:10 AM

it made me so sad to read what you wrote. my mom reacted in a similar way. she did not beat me (thankfully) but she was very, very VERY mad. she and my dad said some very hurtful and over-exaggerated things like you mentioned in your post. no, you are not a coward, and no, you do not deserve to be electrocuted or any of that ridiculous stuff. please don't listen to your mother, and get the help you need. if you ever need anything u can PM me, i'm here if you just wanna talk~

-raindrop14

Closed Thread