TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bianca_Mae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bianca

Am I a real cutter? - May 31st 2017, 04:28 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So now, this can sound really stupid, but its something that keeps reoccurring in my mind when I think about my self harm habits.

I only have about 12 scars. And I know there are people out there who have way more than I do. I know I am a cutter, but like can I really classify myself as that if there are people with worse habits than me?

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I am currently trying to quit and every time I try to not think about it, I start thinking about how people have a lot more scars than I do, and that I wouldn't be a real cutter unless I get to that point.

Am I making sense?

-Bianca

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Am I a real cutter? - May 31st 2017, 08:46 AM

I used to have thoughts like this and it led me to think that my self harm wasn't bad and I didn't need to help and I didn't need to stop. Eventually my self harm got out of hand. I was cutting deeply every single time I cut and my arms were full of scars.

With any addiction you have to start out somewhere. So, just because you do not have a lot of scars right now doesn't mean it cannot get to that point. The longer a person self harms the worse it gets. That is why it is better to stop before it gets out of hand because the longer you do it and the more it gets out of hand the harder it is to stop self harm.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Am I a real cutter? - June 4th 2017, 09:49 PM

Hi there.

Thanks for posting this!

Yes you are a "real cutter" and you self harm. I have hundreds of scars. But that doesn't make me and you any different. You've still hurt yourself. You still have emotions and thoughts and urges which clearly distress you that you become in so much pain you feel the need to harm yourself. It doesn't matter how much someone self harms or how severe they do it. For example, I self harm severely (didn't used too years ago) which has resulted in 100's of A&E trips, surgery, infections and 16 inpatient stays (one lasting two years). However, someone else may not self harm severely but that doesn't mean they emotionally hurt less than me. It's just that due to the severity of my self harm, I have to be put into hospital for safety (risk to life). But it doesn't mean they aren't a "real cutter", they're not in as much distress etc.

Anyone who harms themselves, once, twice or a million times, superficially or severely, are all people who self harm and who need support. You are just as important as everyone else and deserve just as much help and support too!

I don't know what is going on for you but just know we're always here if you need to talk. You're never alone in this and we'll always be more than happy to help you. Keep fighting and stay safe okay? You don't deserve the pain you put yourself through.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Am I a real cutter? - June 5th 2017, 11:44 AM

Anyone who harms themselves is a "real self-harmer." As it's been said, it doesn't matter how often or the depth of it; what matters is that you've felt the need to harm yourself.

It's easier said than done but see if you can stop comparing yourself to other people. You can't get a fair comparison because everyone is so different with their life experiences. Maybe, next time you start having these thoughts you could distract yourself or reframe them into something different.

Here if you need anything.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: Am I a real cutter? - June 10th 2017, 05:41 PM

Thank you for reaching out and getting help. Yes in fact you are a real cutter. I have about 15 scars myself, and that's not that much more than you. You are a real cutter, but you also need to stop. Don't keep cutting so you can get more scars to "prove" you're a real cutter. You already are, and I would highly suggest quitting or getting some help, because self harm is never good.

Closed Thread