TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Valse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Can't stop harming. I need help - July 14th 2017, 12:02 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I tried to don't cut... and well i didn't for almost a month but almost every moment of every day i thougt on cutting... i tried to get distracted or thinking of something else but i just coulnd't anymore and did it again... i am a bit ashamed of it and honestly i would like to stop, but it seems to be that hurting myself is the only efective way to make me feel "ok" again... and one of the reasons why i want to stop is because the cuts burns me a lot and makes me feel very bad for cutting, so i would like to have some advice to stop cutting and stop the burns of my wounds.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: Can't stop harming. I need help - July 14th 2017, 02:15 AM

Hi! Thanks for coming to get help!
I would suggest trying a pain relieving ointment and some ice. Try to find the right alternative. Even if you think there isn't one for you, there is. You just need to look a little harder. Keep busy and don't be alone when you want to self harm. Stay away from places you usually self harm at and have someone keep your tools from you. Hope this helped. PM me whenever you need to talk or just need someone to keep you company. Sending lots of love your way! Stay strong.

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Can't stop harming. I need help - July 14th 2017, 12:55 PM

Hi,

It can be really difficult to refrain from cutting when you think of it often. Even distracting when you're thinking a lot about it is hard, too. Maybe, when things get difficult for you, you could try a time oriented alternative. For instance, you could play the fifteen minute game. When you want to self-harm, you tell yourself that you can if you still want to in fifteen minutes. Then you try to distract yourself and you add another fifteen minutes and so forth until something distracts you for longer than that.

Where do you keep your tools? You could try moving them to a different room so it takes more effort to get to them. And, if you want to get to your tools you'll have the potential to get distracted on your way to get them.

Do you have a favorite hobby, or something you like to do in your down time such as reading, walking, or watching movies? You could use those as alternatives. You could think of self-harm alternatives as something fun and that could help you use them.

As for the stinging of the cuts, I too recommend using ice or ointment to help keep them clean. You can also wash them in the shower with a mild soap.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
gigisnider Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Georgia

Red face Re: Can't stop harming. I need help - July 17th 2017, 08:24 AM

hi, I'm sorry this is happening to you I'm actually 11 months self harm free and how i stop it was the most challenging thing to do so after suffering in silence for months of cutting i opened up i told my mom and step dad and they were there for me and still are, they told I'm going to be ok and my mom ask me to give my blades away so i did she was scared and i felt bad but after knowing I'm not going to fight alone so i had my parents watch over me and had a therapist and my other friends and family to help me so i suggest for you to reach out to your parents or someone close to you because talking to someone will help and throwing your blades away will help you too i know it will be hard but after letting go you will feel better and if you need a way to cope just distract yourself go for walk, hangout with friends, do things you love if you need someone to talk to I'm here!!! STAY STRONG

Closed Thread