TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Winchester666 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Help - July 15th 2017, 09:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So not very long ago, the only thing keeping me from self harm was fear, but that isn't there anymore. It think I might actually do it. The only thing keeping me from cutting now is that the only thing I would able to cut with that I own is my needle and I can't find it. But if I ever find it, I don't think anything would really stop me.

Last edited by Hypothesis.; July 15th 2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Moving to Self Harm forum where you will get better advice. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Help - July 16th 2017, 01:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Based on what you've written, it seems like you haven't self-harmed before. It might help to think about how self-harm could impact you in the long run. For instance, you could eventually get addicted; it is possible to have a physical dependency on it. When you self-harm, you have to worry about hiding your injuries and your tools. Many people often have to change their wardrobe to avoid clothes that show cuts and scars. Many people also hide their self-harm from everyone around them, and keeping that secret can lead to loneliness. Cutting and other self-harm methods can put people at risk for infection, permanent damage and sometimes, even death.

Self-harm doesn't help in the long run. It is an unhealthy coping skill that makes people feel better temporarily, and then the urge to self-harm again usually surfaces. Maybe you can look into other ways of releasing your feelings. For instance, you could exercise, do something artistic, watch a movie, listen to music, or talk to someone you trust to name a few. Here is a list of alternatives you can take a look at.

If you're considering harming yourself, maybe you could think about talking to someone you trust so you don't have to do this alone.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: Help - July 16th 2017, 09:17 PM

Hey Christina. I know we talked about it yesterday but here is a list of things that should keep you from doing it.

1. It doesnt heal anything
2. Me
3. Your girlfriend
4. Grace
5. Someday your kid will see you scars and think its ok to do it to themselves too
6. You're strong, you can beat this
7. Its not a good coping mechanism
8. You shouldn't, it becomes an addiction
9. People would be hurt if you did
10. Just dont

Sending lots of love your way Padfoot, stay stong, love yourself.

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

Closed Thread