TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering: How are you beating self harm? Vol 2 (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t152796-how-you-beating-self-harm-vol-2-a/)

DeletedAccount69 August 28th 2017 06:18 AM

How are you beating self harm? Vol 2

I marked this as triggering but I am not entirely sure it will end up containing anything triggering. I just wanted to let people know that triggering content might be brought up!

I wasn't sure if I should just re-open the old thread but I figured I would just start a new one.

Anyway, I have been feeling like cutting quite a bit the past couple of weeks and I have been doing all kinds of things to avoid cutting such as reading, sleeping and watching television.

I am curious to see what other people do on a daily basis to avoid/beat the self harm urges!

Today I actually ended up getting out of the house for a few hours and socializing which did help a tad bit.

Silvan August 28th 2017 08:20 AM

Re: How are you beating self harm? Vol 2

Recently I've promised a person who's very important to me that I wouldn't cut. I didn't think it would actually work, but it seems it does. Whenever I think of self harm, I also imagine the disappointment that person would feel if I cut, and the will not to do this is stronger than the urge. At least for now and I hope it lasts.

del677 August 28th 2017 09:12 AM

I need exercise. I was supposed to go walking today with a friend, but the friend coped out on me, and we didn't go walking. We're both depressed and just wanted to lay down. I need to walk. Walking helps. If I walk today, I'll feel better tomorrow.

DeletedAccount69 August 29th 2017 11:54 AM

I went to bed early last night.
Probably going to read in a bit since I woke up feeling a bit of an urge.

Concinnity August 29th 2017 07:41 PM

Really high-intensity exercise, like running or cycling, has always helped me a lot. But I can't always do that, obviously, so things like listening to upbeat music (nothing sad/angsty/triggering!), watching something funny on Netflix (like The Office/Parks and Rec), or hanging out with friends can be helpful distractions and maybe even turn my mindset around for the time being.

Those things work when I just kind of generally feel like self harming; when it feels more urgent, then...I don't know. Sheer force of will? :D That's pretty much what's been getting me through the really tough spots of the last 14 months. I wish I had a more reliable go-to for when it gets really tough.

DeletedAccount69 August 30th 2017 03:49 AM

Today I avoided the urges by showering and napping.

Jess~ August 30th 2017 04:56 AM

cutting for me, along with a release, is also a fascination with blood and scars. so if I wish I had that on my arm, I'll draw on myself or just lightly scratch myself so it leaves small marks, but isn't painful.
the drawing on myself helps a lot, as it will distract me for a good 30 minutes.
art helps too if there's a specific emotion or reason behind why I want to cut.

DeletedAccount42 August 31st 2017 02:37 AM

I promised I wouldn't cut. Ive been drowning out feelings in music :p

DeletedAccount69 September 2nd 2017 05:04 AM

Music is a good coping skill. It used to help me a lot when I was younger.

Today I kept myself busy by running errands. Also I had a pretty bad headache so even though I had urges I was too sick to do anything. Probably the only good thing about this headache.

hocus pocus September 3rd 2017 01:37 PM

Yesterday I got out of the house for a good portion of the day. Today I'm going to clean some of my animal cages, and maybe exercise a little bit.

DeletedAccount69 September 6th 2017 08:31 PM

I am reading.
I also might distract myself with a movie later.
I am contemplating taking a shower after the pick my bf up.

Jess~ September 6th 2017 11:47 PM

last night i had really strong urges but i just kept reminding myself of how close i am to being a year clean and also about all the bad parts that come after self-harming, like having to come up with lies on the spot and wear hoodies during summer weather.

hocus pocus September 7th 2017 12:08 AM

Today I've been busy with school and I've been on here. I took a nap and I am going to take care of my pets and then watch something with my mom.

DeletedAccount69 September 8th 2017 12:32 AM

I am going to go out with a friend...unless he cancels but he doesn't do that too often.

Lionheart September 9th 2017 09:05 AM

Concentrating on anything else. Either continue writing my paper or playing some games. Later I'll exercise

DeletedAccount69 September 9th 2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess~ (Post 1295775)
cutting for me, along with a release, is also a fascination with blood and scars. so if I wish I had that on my arm, I'll draw on myself or just lightly scratch myself so it leaves small marks, but isn't painful.
the drawing on myself helps a lot, as it will distract me for a good 30 minutes.
art helps too if there's a specific emotion or reason behind why I want to cut.

I, too, had a fascination with blood at one point. So, when I was trying to go without I would draw on myself and then get ice and let the water from it melting drip on my skin. It kind of resembled bleeding when it hit the red. Not quite as satisfying but it helped.

Also, at one point I used to struggle immensely with wanting to carve words into my skin. So, when I was trying to avoid self harm but feeling that urge I would take a pen and write the words I wanted to carve on my arm. It definitely helped release all the pent up emotions while I also avoided self harm.

Markus September 10th 2017 11:10 AM

By being around people, because noise and presence takes that self-harm thought away, at least for me. If I am alone at home, I make it a point to go out to crowded places.

Lionheart September 10th 2017 12:21 PM

Listening to uplifting music and writing

hocus pocus September 10th 2017 08:03 PM

I've been taking care of my pets, cleaning, and doing school assignments. I'm planning to keep pretty busy.

DeletedAccount69 September 10th 2017 11:10 PM

I cuddled with my boyfriend for a bit.
I made myself a late lunch/early dinner.
I am probably going to go read soon.

itzz.casper September 11th 2017 03:31 PM

Typically I would smoke or drink, but I have not done that in a while for my best friend, whom gets upset when I do so.

The healthy copes I been doing, is a lot of drawing, writing, reading, and listening to music.

I also be near the people that are keeping me alive. My little brother and sister.

DeletedAccount69 September 11th 2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A.S.P.E.R.R (Post 1297029)
Typically I would smoke or drink, but I have not done that in a while for my best friend, whom gets upset when I do so.

The healthy copes I been doing, is a lot of drawing, writing, reading, and listening to music.

I also be near the people that are keeping me alive. My little brother and sister.

What kind of stuff do you write? Poetry or stories?

Today I am feeling stressed out over money. I am going to attempt to finish my book and also start the Sailor moon Manga I have. Those should be a decent enough distraction. I'm also going to go to the library later today, I think.

itzz.casper September 12th 2017 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ (Post 1297058)
What kind of stuff do you write? Poetry or stories?

Today I am feeling stressed out over money. I am going to attempt to finish my book and also start the Sailor moon Manga I have. Those should be a decent enough distraction. I'm also going to go to the library later today, I think.

i tend to do both stories and poetry.

I been writing a mini book, I called it Dont Look Back. I am not doen I only write in there when I in the suicidal mood.

I like anime^^ My favorite is Fairy Tail (Sorry I noticed you typed Sailor Moon)

And for poetry, I constantly write so all my moods, on book of riddles and rhymes.

DeletedAccount69 September 12th 2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A.S.P.E.R.R (Post 1297096)
i tend to do both stories and poetry.

I been writing a mini book, I called it Dont Look Back. I am not doen I only write in there when I in the suicidal mood.

I like anime^^ My favorite is Fairy Tail (Sorry I noticed you typed Sailor Moon)

And for poetry, I constantly write so all my moods, on book of riddles and rhymes.

Fairy Tale is actually on my list of Manga to try and read at some point. However, there are so many volumes that I haven't been feeling like committing to that.

Today, I did read to distract myself. I am struggling a bit right now with urges so I have been replying to threads. I think I am going to call it a night though since sleeping can help with urges quite a bit.

itzz.casper September 12th 2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ (Post 1297107)

Fairy Tale is actually on my list of Manga to try and read at some point. However, there are so many volumes that I haven't been feeling like committing to that.

Today, I did read to distract myself. I am struggling a bit right now with urges so I have been replying to threads. I think I am going to call it a night though since sleeping can help with urges quite a bit.

My friend forced me to watch Fairy Tail, but now im hooked im actually on Fairy Tail Zero actually. I hard core ship Zeref and Mavis. And I agree sleep helps alot. And if you feel down you can PM me. Or VM me. I will be able to listen even if I cant help.

Lionheart September 12th 2017 04:31 PM

Actually worked on what is stressing me out and making me feel this way. Trying to solve the problem instead of ignoring it

DeletedAccount69 September 12th 2017 05:44 PM

I am browsing TH and anxiously awaiting the mail since I have at least one package coming but there might be more.

Lionheart September 12th 2017 07:04 PM

Watching TV

DeletedAccount69 September 13th 2017 02:07 PM

Browsing Facebook and th.

Read a few articles.

hocus pocus September 13th 2017 11:17 PM

Today I went to school and talked to my therapist.

DeletedAccount69 September 14th 2017 02:28 PM

Taking my boyfriend to school
I will probably come home and rest a bit since I woke up early

DeletedAccount69 September 16th 2017 06:28 AM

I read and was able to get a decent chunk of the book read.
I busied myself with th stuff
I cuddled with my boyfriend for a bit
I talked to my dad a bit

Lumos. September 18th 2017 11:03 PM

Today I am trying not to purposefully trigger myself... not sure how that'll go.
I'm also being on TH for a while and trying to delay the urge
I'm with my girlfriend so if the urge gets worse and I think I will try to self harm while she's here then I will tell her.
I may read as well

hocus pocus September 21st 2017 12:34 PM

I am going to get out of the house for a little today and I have to be at my school in the afternoon for a meeting, but I don't really want to go. :nosweat: We'll see but those are my plans to stay self-harm free for now.

DeletedAccount42 September 21st 2017 11:54 PM

My best friend. I love him ❤️

DeletedAccount69 September 22nd 2017 12:41 PM

Watching a television show with my boyfriend
Also going to read in a bit. Probably just a chapter or two of my book

Lumos. September 24th 2017 02:35 AM

Staying busy (reading, being on TH)
Being with my girlfriend

Peachman September 24th 2017 10:50 AM

I havent fully committed to beating it but im cutting less recently because by the time im in bed (when I usually cut) im more tired and I can occupy myself with Netflix until I can get to sleep.

I stopped once before when someone else I was close with who was also depressed (worse of than me) said they would kill themselves if I cut again, we realized that we were both lying about cutting etc and decided to revoke the promises we made the other make

DeletedAccount69 September 26th 2017 08:55 PM

Mostly just been distracting myself with online stuff.

Lumos. September 27th 2017 07:00 AM

A lot of deep breathing, and trying to distract myself