TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Excuses - September 26th 2017, 09:18 PM

Hey, so basically I've been self harming and I've got 2/3 bruises on one arm and I need an excuse as to why I have a fresh bruise and a few healing. My parents will definitely not let it go if they see it. It's a little too hot to wear long sleeves so... yeah does anyone have any suggestions?

Keep calm and carry on.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Peachman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Excuses - September 27th 2017, 12:45 AM

Its best if you talk to them or a counselor
but I guess you could try "I fell down a hill"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: Excuses - September 27th 2017, 05:56 AM

I know self-harming may seem to help temporarily, but it is the result of deeper problems.

Have you considered letting your parents know about your continued struggle and seeking help rather than hiding it? If you have your own reasons not to talk to your parents about the self-harm, perhaps you can get help or confide in a trusted friend or adult about it? Carrying all this pain alone is tough. You need help to learn why you are doing it, and you deserve to be able to walk in freedom from self-harm.

What you need is help with this, not hiding it. I really hope things can get better for you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Excuses - September 27th 2017, 12:38 PM

Hey,

I am really sorry you feel the need to self-harm, but I know how this feels.

I think you should really think about telling your parents the truth, so they can get you the right type of help. Are you in any type of therapy? If not I would consider it. You are 18 years old, so you might still be in a high school and if that is the case maybe you could tell the guidance councilor. Usually they do have to tell your parents but because you are 18 they might now have to(I don't know how that works)

I know nobody can force you to stop hurting yourself. You are the only one that can decide if and when you want to get help for it. SO above are just some suggestions.

As for hiding the bruises, I don't know exactly where they are. Mine are usually the inside of my wrist and arms. If that is the case you can say you were walking and hit something while your arm was moving. If they are further up on your arm you could say you ran into a door, or a wall. But be careful not to use those over and over because unless you are a clutz they will get suspicous. You could also maybe try some make up that might cover them.

I hope this has helped you even if it was just a little bit.
If you need to talk I am just a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Essa<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Excuses - September 27th 2017, 05:31 PM

Thank you all for the support.

Keep calm and carry on.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Excuses - September 28th 2017, 05:37 AM

Hey,

If it would be safe to tell your parents about your self harm I think it would be a good idea. What I mean by safe is that sometimes parents aren't all that open about mental health and revealing things pertaining to a struggle with mental health can actually do more harm than good. If you have a good relationship with your parents or you don't think they would be dismissive or anything; confiding in them might be good because they could provide you with support and they might be able to help you find some help. You are 18 so you can, technically, find that help yourself but it helps to have support from family.

As for hiding the bruises, depending on how large they are they might be easy to pass off as an unknown accident (I sometimes wake up with bruises on my legs or arms and have no idea how they got there). If they are overly large or something then your best bet would be telling them that you fell or something.

I don't necessarily encourage lying but I know sometimes having family and friends know about self harm can do more harm than good.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Excuses - September 28th 2017, 09:04 AM

well if I saw them I'd understand what they are and would just accept them and I would offer to help so you don't feel so bad anymore.

like if I saw someone with a cast on their arm, I'd think oh they broke their arm and now its being taken care of.

OK perhaps that analogy doesn't work since cast means doctor has already seen it and has already taken care of it.

how about, if I saw someone with broken arm and no cast, I would urge them to go see a doctor and get that taken care of.

it's like that. if I saw your self harm I'd offer to take you to a doctor who could fix your brain chemistry so you aren't suffering so much anymore.

but that's just because I recognize it and know what to do.

other people may be baffled, and not know what to do. however, many of us do recognise it for what it is and we know what will help and those are the people you want to show it too.

the rest may have to be content with a "I don't want to talk about it" reply. they ask because they care and want to know if they can help. no sorry they can't help. the ones who can help don't have to ask what it is because we already know.

oh and if you yourself are new to it that comment about brain chemistry may seem odd. Doesn't seem odd to me only because I've been through the tunnel and seen both sides and now I can say with certainty that this is the way out back to health. See a doctor, get that fixed, you'll feel better. it will still be you. just not sick version of you but well version of you. having experienced both, I can say well is better. much better. I definitely prefer it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Excuses - September 28th 2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks for everything. I really will consider it, but no one even noticed it anyway, or maybe just didn't bother asking, so starting this thread was completely useless. Lol thanks anyway

Keep calm and carry on.

Closed Thread