TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dani24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,193, Level: 8 Points: 3,193, Level: 8 Points: 3,193, Level: 8

Why is self harm such a joke to people - October 21st 2017, 09:42 PM

I just don't understand what makes self harm so funny to other people. I started talking to this guy and he seems really nice but the other day he made a "joke" and said "ya im Emo look there's cuts on my arm see???" But he was joking he doesn't actually have cuts. I got so mad that I pulled up my sleeve and showed him why it isn't funny. Am I just being over sensitive or does it hurt other people to hear self harm be made fun of?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: Why is self harm such a joke to people - October 21st 2017, 10:40 PM

Hello and welcome to teenhelp, we are so glad that you have joined and we're able to say what is going on with you. Great job. Hugs.

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this. Sometimes people think it's funny to say mean things about others and it doesn't really bother them when they are doing this. And they don't get why you are so upset about this and I'm sorry that he was like that with you. Other people who don't self harm they do not fully understand why you do this and what you are going through to self harm. And some people may never know or truly understand this. And it's a shame because when you do this its not easy to stop, so having people to help you with this or that you can talk to is very helpful if you are able to do that.
Do you have anymore that you can talk to about this? Friends or family members? When you do feel like you are going to do this you can put on a funny TV show or movie to take you're mind off of this. Also you can go for a walk and put on music. And you can get a rubber band and put it around you're wrist or a hair tie and every time you get the feeling you can snap it to get you're mind off of this feeling.
If you see that guy again and if he says something about this to you or makes a joke about it, try you're best to get upset. Just think about something else if you can. Also do you like to draw or writing? Because both of them can help you too get out you're feelings. I hope that you will be ok soon. Hugs.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lucy1572 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

Points: 3,306, Level: 8 Points: 3,306, Level: 8 Points: 3,306, Level: 8

Re: Why is self harm such a joke to people - October 21st 2017, 10:44 PM

I know how you feel. Pretty much everyone at my school jokes about it. As someone who does self harm, them joking about it in front of me just makes me uncomfortable and angry. I just don't understand how it's a funny topic. They wouldn't be laughing about it if they had to go through it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Why is self harm such a joke to people - October 22nd 2017, 02:41 AM

I used to self harm quite extensively and I can say that there have been times when I have made jokes about my own self harm as a way to lessen the sadness. However, I choose my audience and usually only do it with family and one or two very close friends who know about my self harm.

That being said, it really upsets me when people make insensitive comments about self harm in this manner. If I know someone has struggled with self harm and I see them making jokes I don't take offense in the same way because I know joking about it can help some people cope. However, when I know the person has never struggled with it I realize they are being ignorant and I end up choosing not to interact with them as much.

Unfortunately there are good people who can make hurtful jokes pertaining to mental health such as eating disorders, self harm etc. There have been times when I have tried educating the person but a lot of the time I let it go because I know they will not change.

Last edited by DeletedAccount69; October 22nd 2017 at 03:58 PM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Why is self harm such a joke to people - October 22nd 2017, 01:49 PM

I also sometimes make jokes about myself because my sense of humor plays a large role in my healing and it's easier for me to laugh.

As for other people, however, those who do not struggle with it may make jokes because they do not understand or have conflicting feelings around it, or they're just rude or ignorant. Some people who joke about it may also be trying to cover up the fact that they are struggling with it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread